Gun Owners - Safely Secure Your Weapons
Gun handling and gun ownership comes with tremendous responsibility.
If you are a gun owner, ensure that your firearm(s) are not accessible to children or other unauthorized persons - this includes an intruder committing a burglary. Hiding a gun in a closet or under a mattress is not responsible storage.
Please remember these important rules to storing firearms:
- Unloaded firearms should be stored in a locked cabinet, gun safe or vault, or storage case. Be sure to place the locked storage case in a location inaccessible to children.
- Unloaded firearms can also be secured with a gun locking device. But, a gun lock should always be considered an additional safety precaution, and not a substitute for a locked cabinet, closet, safe, or storage container.
- Store ammunition in a locked location separate from firearms.
- Always recheck a firearm when removing it from storage to ensure it is unloaded. Always treat a gun as if it were loaded.
- Cost should not be a factor in safely securing firearms. A responsible gun owner is one who has made proper arrangements for storage. If you can’t afford a gun safe, consider purchasing a keyed door lock for a closet, and utilize trigger locks. Or, partially disassemble your firearm and store the parts in separate, locked containers.
Nearly all gun accidents in the home can be prevented by making sure firearms are kept unloaded and locked up. In addition, many gun-related crimes are a result of unsecured weapons stolen from homes or vehicles. Such incidents increase the level of danger in our community.
If you have a firearm or ammunition you wish to discard, the Santa Clara Police Department can safely dispose of it on your behalf. Please take the following steps:
- Contact the Police Building before your leave your residence by calling (408)615-4700.
- Drive to the Police Building with the firearm(s) and ammunition in separate locked cases, and place the items in the trunk of your vehicle.
- Upon arrival, do NOT enter the facility with the firearm(s) or ammunition. Instead, come inside and alert staff of your interest in disposing of unwanted firearm(s) and/or ammunition.
- A staff member will escort you to your vehicle and retrieve the firearm(s).
Your assistance to keep our neighborhoods safe is greatly appreciated!