Beware of Scams during Tax Season
Every tax season, SCPD receives reports of scammers attempting to impersonate IRS employees. Our elderly community members are typically the most vulnerable to these types of scams. Please take the time to warn your older family members, neighbors, and friends.
It’s important to remember the IRS will not:
- Call you to demand immediate payment. The IRS will not call you if you owe taxes without first sending you a bill in the mail.
- Demand that you pay taxes and not allow you to question or appeal the amount you owe.
- Require that you pay your taxes a certain way. For instance, require that you pay with a prepaid debit card or wire transfer.
- Ask for your credit, debit or prepaid card numbers over the phone.
- Threaten to bring in police or other agencies to arrest you for not paying.
The best advice we can offer is, when you or someone you know receives a suspicious call claiming to be the IRS is to HANG UP.