Santa Clara Mission Church & Gardens
- City Manager
- Art & Statues
- Service Address500 El Camino Real
Return to full list >>
The Santa Clara University is the home to the Mission Santa Clara de Asis and works of art including many statues and paintings. They include:
- Granite obelisk marking the launching site of aviation pioneer and physics professor John J. Montgomery's controlled flight In 1905 in a heavier-than-air glider. Artist unknown
- Statue of St Joseph, in its stone niche, was presented to the University by the Class of 19118. Artist unknown.
- Sacred Heart Statue, erected in 1884, bears two inscriptions; Matthew XI: Venita Ad Me (Come to Me) and Discite A Me (Learn of Me). Artist unknown.
- Statues on Mission facade were hand carved in pear wood in 1931 in Oberammergau, Germany. Artist unknown.
- Other works of art may also be seen on the campus. Nobili Hall-Jesuit Residence (facade),St. Joseph's Hall (stained glass windows), Mission Church (paintings and statues).