The City's commissions act in an advisory capacity to the City Council, providing a conduit for citizen input on numerous issues pertaining to Santa Clara. From planning the City's festivities or its physical environment; to preserving its history and maintaining its parks or libraries, these positions are vital to a well-run and receptive City government. All offer an opportunity for citizens to truly be involved with their community.
To learn more, click on the commission of your interest below:
- Board of Library Trustees
- Civil Service Commission
- Cultural Commission
- Historical and Landmarks Commission
- Housing Rehabilitation Loan Committee
- Parks and Recreation Commission
- Planning Commission
- Senior Advisory Commission
- Youth Commission
To view the current roster of all commissions, click on the link below:
Serve on a Commission
Serving on a commission is an excellent way to give back to the community. Members have the opportunity to serve their fellow citizens and provide guidance and recommendations on specific issues for Council consideration. They contribute to the public process and help make a positive impact in the community. In addition, commissioners have opportunities to socialize, network, build their professional skillset and resume. They also have the opportunity to attend, participate, or organize special events and in some instances attend state or national conferences.
How to Apply
If you are interested in becoming a commissioner, we recommend that you: read the Guide for Board, Commissions and Committee Applicants (PDF), look at upcoming openings, and/or attend meetings.
Submit an Application during a promotion of vacancy.
Currently Accepting Applications
The City is now accepting applications for three vacancies. Each vacancy is to serve a full term which is four years. The following vacancies are available:
- The Historical and Landmarks Commission has two vacancies. Applications are due to the Clerk's office by 5:00pm, August 3, 2018. Interviews are currently scheduled to be held on August 21, 2018.
- The Board of Library Trustees has one vacancy. Applications are due to the Clerk's office by 5:00pm, August 3, 2018. Interviews are currently scheduled to be held on August 28, 2018.
The City expects the following openings to occur due to term-limits of Board/Commission/Committee members in the next few years. Please be sure to submit an interest form (below) with the City Clerk's Office and sign up for eNotify to receive information regarding mid-year vacancies due to the resignation of board/commission members.
|Board of Library Trustees||1||0||0|
|Historical and Landmarks||2||0||0|
|Housing Rehabilitation Loan||0||1||0|
|Parks and Recreation||0||2||2|
City of Santa Clara residents who are registered voters or are eligible to register to vote may apply to be a commissioner. The Youth Commission is open to Santa Clara residents between the ages of 12-19 years old.
Interest Form and e-Notify
If you would like to be added to the Board and Commissions contact distribution list, please submit an Interest Form or sign up for e-Notify and select the Board or Commission of your interest to receive emails about future openings and other news. If you would like to serve the City in another capacity there are opportunities to become a City volunteer or volunteer at a local community organization.
The following links provide the roster history of the Board and Commissions; including the names of current and past appointees as well as term dates.
- Board of Library Trustees (PDF)
- Civil Service Commission (PDF)
- Cultural Commission (PDF)
- Cultural Advisory Commission
- International Exchange Commission
- Historical and Landmarks Commission (PDF)
- Housing Rehabilitation Loan Committee (PDF)
- Parks and Recreation Commission (PDF)
- Planning Commission (PDF)
- Senior Advisory Commission (PDF)
- Youth Commission (PDF)