Charter Review Committee & District Elections
At the City Council Meeting of April 11, 2017, City Council directed the creation of a Charter Review Committee. The direction from the Council included review of the City’s election method with a focus on district and other methods of electing members to the City Council in time for the June 2018 primary election.
The Committee presented its recommendation to implement by-district elections to Council on July 18, 2017. The ballot language was approved by the Committee and presented to Council on December 5, 2017. The Council approved moving forward with the proposed charter amendment and directed the City Manager and City Attorney to initiate the process of drawing districts with public outreach. If approved by voters, Council Members would be elected by two districts with three Council Members representing each district using Ranked Choice Voting.
The Proposed District Election & Charter Amendment includes the following:
- Elect City Council Members by two districts with three members representing each district (e.g. District 1 and District 2).
- Elect the three members at the same time alternating district elections between gubernatorial and presidential election years.
- Transition to include:
- In 2018, elect two members to four-year terms in District 1
- In 2020, elect one member to a two-year term in District 1 and three members to four-year terms in District 2.
- Utilize Single Transferrable Vote form of Ranked Choice Voting for election of Council Members when Santa Clara County Registrar of Voters can support it in 2020.
- Change the voting method for Mayor, City Clerk, and Chief of Police to match the voting method of Council Members beginning in 2020 with the election of City Clerk and Chief of Police, and then with subsequent elections thereafter.
December 5, 2017 Staff Agenda Report
December 5, 2017 Staff Presentation to Council
July 18, 2017 Staff Agenda Report
July 18, 2017 Charter Review Committee Presentation to Council
Handbook Documents, Agenda Packets, Minutes, and Videos of all meetings are available for download below. To view Agenda Packets and Videos, click on the link “All” and then the link “Charter Review Committee Meeting” corresponding to the date of interest. For more information, please contact the City Manager’s Office at 408-615-2210.
|Charter Review Committee Members|
|Tino Silva, Chair||Hosam Haggag|
|Keith Stattenfield, Vice Chair||Chris Horton|
|Hazel Alabado||Steve Lodge|
|Markus Bracamonte||Jodi Muirhead|
|Saskia Feain||Beverly Silva|
|Mary Hanna-Weir||Teresa Sulcer|
Charter Review Committee Handbook Documents
Section 1 - Committee Members: *See Committee Members table above
Section 2 - Schedule of Meetings: *See Schedule of Meetings below
Section 3 - Agendas:
- 04-24-17 Charter Review Committee Agenda
- 05-08-17 Charter Review Committee Agenda
- 05-22-17 Charter Review Committee Agenda REVISED
- 06-12-17 Charter Review Committee Agenda
- 06-26-17 Charter Review Committee Agenda
- 07-10-17 Charter Review Committee Agenda
- 09-18-17 Charter Review Committee Agenda
- 10-05-17 Charter Review Committee Agenda
- 10-23-17 Charter Review Committee Agenda
- 11-06-17 Charter Review Committee Agenda
Section 4 - Minutes: **To be added once Approved by Council.
- 04-24-17 Minutes
- 05-08-17 Minutes
- 05-22-17 Minutes
- 06-12-17 Minutes
- 06-26-17 Minutes
- 07-10-17 Minutes
- 09-18-17 Minutes
- 10-05-17 Minutes
- 10-23-17 Minutes
- 11-06-17 Minutes
Section 5 - City Code of Ethics & Values: Code of Ethics and Values
Section 6 - A Guide to the Ralph M. Brown Act: Guide to Brown Act
Section 7 - Robert's Rules of Order Summary: Robert's Rules of Order_Parliamentary Procedures
Section 8 - Workplan: Draft CRC Workplan 2017
Section 9 - City of Santa Clara Charter: City of Santa Clara Charter
Section 10 - Reports for Committee:
- 10-23-17 Post Agenda Meeting Material
- Informational Memo: Future Presentations & Agenda Items
- 10-23-17 Revised Charter Amendment Related to Election of City Council Members
- 10-05-17 Revised Charter Amendment Related to Election of City Council Members
- Suggested Charter Amendments for Review
- 09-18-17 Meeting- Post Agenda Material
- Draft Charter Amendment Related to Election of City Council Members
- Suggested Future Workplan Items for Review
- 07-10-17 Meeting- Post Agenda Material
- 05-22-17 Meeting - Post Meeting Materials
- Pros and Cons Analysis of Election Systems and Voting Methods
- 05-08-17 Meeting - Post Meeting Material Submitted by Member of Public
- California Voting Rights Act Presentation 050817
- California Municipal Democracy Index
- 2011 Charter Review Committee Recommendations
- Demographic Report for City of Santa Clara 091311
- Complaint Violation of CA Voting Rights Act 033017
Section 11 - Correspondence: