The City of Santa Clara recognizes the value of using social media sites and services to engage the community. This includes providing information on City programs, events, projects and proposals to local residents, businesses and all interested parties.
The City is subject to the California Public Records Act. All websites and social media sites shall clearly indicate that any article and any content posted or submitted for posting are potentially subject to public disclosure as required by law.
Due to the temporary and transitory nature of postings and comments on social media sites, social media postings and comments shall not be considered permanent public records of the City. They are not retained as such unless printed, filed or otherwise saved by the Public Communications Manager, content authors and IT Staff responsible for the social media site, and in that event shall be retained pursuant to the City’s Records Retention Schedules.
Content Standards and RemovalCity social media content and comments containing any of the following forms of content shall not be allowed and shall be promptly removed:
- Items not topically related to the City social media site or particular post
- Posts or links that include profane language or sexual content
- Potentially libelous or defamatory comments regarding any person or organization
- Violates a legal ownership interest of any other party (copyright or trademark violations)
- Conduct that is or encourages illegal activity
- Promotes commercial services or products
- Content that promotes, fosters or perpetuates discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, age, religion, gender, gender identification, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, national origin, physical or mental disability, or sexual orientation
- Information that may compromise the safety or security of the public or public systems or infrastructure
- Private or personal information published without consent
The City reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to remove inappropriate content, including, but not limited to, the items listed above.
Users posting to the City’s social media sites shall be informed that the City disclaims any and all responsibility and liability for any materials or information not posted by the City or that the City deems inappropriate for posting.
Comments submitted to City social media sites are reviewed by the Community Relations Manager and content authors. Users of City social media sites have no right of privacy to any information submitted to or posted on these sites.
The City reserves the right to implement or remove any functionality of its social media sites. This includes, but is not limited to, blocking specific individuals from submitting comments, tweets or replies, removing specific comments, turning off the comment function, removing articles, information, pictures, videos or any other form of communication that is posted on City social media sites.