The effective date of the new 2016 California codes is January 1, 2017. Permit applications submitted utilizing the 2013 California Building Standards code must be received and accepted by the Building Division by December 23, 2016 - This is the last business day prior to the effective date of the new 2016 California codes. Applications submitted to the Building Division on or after January 1, 2017, must comply with the 2016 California codes.
Between November 1, 2016 and December 23, 2016, the Building Division will consider requests, on a case-by-case basis, to voluntarily utilize the 2016 California codes for projects submitted for permit application and plan review prior to the effective date. Any requests to submit projects in accordance with the 2016 California codes prior to the effective date must meet the following criteria:
- Requests shall be made in writing to the Building Division. The request shall be signed by the design professional in general responsible charge.
- Projects utilizing the 2016 California codes prior to the official effective date of such codes shall comply with all parts of the 2016 California Building Standards codes.
- The corresponding permit application must state that the project is being submitted using the 2016 California codes.
- A similar indication shall be placed on the title sheet of the construction documents where the applicable codes that apply to the project are listed.
Submitting Permit Applications
The first step for every applicant should be to find out what items will be required for the project. Most information can be found under Building Permit Information. Print out a copy of the building permit application (PDF). The completed form(s), drawing(s), and fee(s) can then be brought to the Permit Center for submittal. Depending on the type and complexity of the application, the City may:
- Approve the permit over the counter;
- Identify additional information needed to continue the process;
- Route plans to plan checkers for review. When plans are approved, applicants will be notified for permit issuance.