Climate Action Plan (CAP)
The Climate Action Plan (CAP) defines the City of Santa Clara's path toward creating a more sustainable, healthy and livable community. The strategies outlined in the CAP will reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions and provide energy, fuel and monetary savings while improving quality of life for the Santa Clara community.
Request for Proposals (RFP)
The City of Santa Clara released a Request for Proposals (RFP) on June 28, 2019 to find qualified consultants to provide professional services for the Climate Action Plan Update. Potential proposers are encouraged to register and apply at Bidsync.com. Responses are due to the City on August 6, 2019.
The CAP Annual Report provides estimates of 2016 GHG emissions; assesses progress towards meeting GHG reduction targets, and suggests next steps for CAP implementation.
Since baseline levels were measured in 2008, the City of Santa Clara had made significant progress, reducing GHG emissions by 12%, and will only need to reduce emissions by another 3% to reach 2020 CAP goals.
New Laws and Requirements
In 2016, the State Legislature passed SB32, which codifies a 2030 GHG emissions reduction target of 40 percent below 1990 levels (where the previous requirement was 20 percent below 1990 levels). In line with new state requirements, the City anticipates the following updates to the CAP:
- The City of Santa Clara's current progress towards meeting state GHG emission targets;
- An assessment of state and local activities that have been implemented so far to reduce emissions and quantification of the net benefit of these actions to the CAP;
- Identification of further actions the City can undertake to further reduce GHG emissions and meet new targets; and
- Implementation strategies for meeting new targets.
How Can I Learn More?
There will be a number of opportunities to get involved and talk with staff working on this update. Please contact Nimisha Agrawal, Assistant Planner, to receive project notices, meeting announcements and updates via telephone and email below.
Nimisha Agrawal, Assistant Planner
- City of Santa Clara Climate Action Plan Environmental Document
- City of Santa Clara Climate Action Plan 2013
- City of Santa Clara Climate Action Plan Annual Report 2016
- City of Santa Clara Climate Action Plan Annual Report 2018
- AB32 Scoping Plan