The Santa Clara Fire Department was established in 1854 when local residents formed the Columbia Hose Volunteer Fire Company. Today, the City has 10 fire stations consisting of 8 engines, 2 trucks, 1 rescue/light unit, 2 ambulances, 1 hazardous materials unit, and 1 command vehicle.
The Fire Administration Division provides management, organization, and support for the various divisions of the Fire Department actively engaged in the protection of life and property.
The Emergency Medical Services Division is responsible for training personnel to deliver Pre-Hospital Emergency Medical services to people who live, work and visit in Santa Clara.
The Fire Prevention/Hazardous Materials Division is primarily responsible for fire safety education, fire cause determination, inspection of high hazard occupancies, and fire code enforcement. This division also maintains a vital role as technical consultant to the Fire Department, the City, and the business community, advising on site construction, process installation, and the safe use and handling of hazardous materials as outlined in Federal, State, and local regulations.
The Suppression Division, using the Incident Command System, efficiently manages over 9,000 emergency responses annually.
The Training Division provides services to the Fire Department, other City departments, industry, and the community at large.