California Environmental Reporting System (CERS)
Assembly Bill (AB) 2286 (Feuer), chaptered on September 29, 2008, went into effect January 1, 2009. It requires all regulated businesses and all regulated local government agencies, called Unified Program Agencies (UPA), to use the Internet to file required Unified Program information previously filed by paper forms. This includes facility data regarding:
- Hazardous Materials Business Plans (HMBP)
- Underground Storage Tanks (UST)
- Aboveground Storage Tanks (AST)
- Hazardous Waste On-Site Treatment Per State "Tiered Permit" Requirements
- Hazardous Waste Recycling
- Remote Accumulation of Hazardous Wastes Generated Off-site
This law changes the reporting method for information that was already required to be submitted. Submissions should be made by going directly to CERS. From there, you can obtain a user account and request access to facility record(s). Training materials developed by Cal/EPA are available.
The City of Santa Clara Fire Department will help businesses that have difficulty using computers or accessing the Internet. Please contact the Fire Prevention / Hazardous Materials Division at (408) 615-4970 to discuss your specific situation.
For other eReporting questions, call (408) 615-4970 to speak with a member of the Fire Prevention / Hazardous Materials Division.