Calling all Cosplayers!
Enter our first ever Cosplay Masquerade Contest at Santa Clara City Library Comic Con for a chance to win amazing prizes!
How do I enter?
Thank you for your interest in participating in the Santa Clara City Library Comic Con Cosplay Contest!
All Contestants must:
- Be an attendee at the Santa Clara City Library Comic Con
- Check in at the Masquerade Desk located at the Bookmobile outside of the Homestead entrance to the Central Park Library between the hours of 10 am and 2 pm.
- Fill out a Cosplay Contest Entry Form available at the Bookmobile.
- Read and understand the competition rules and performance rules (available below and at the Bookmobile)
Once registered, you must come back to the Bookmobile for the Masquerade by 1:50 pm. Registration is limited to 20 entries for the Kids and Teens/Adult categories, respectively.
If we have received more than 20 entries in the Kids and Teens/Adult categories, you can be placed on the stand-by list. We will begin to form a stand-by list at 1:30 pm for both categories. If a contestant does not check in or line-up by 1:50, we will begin to take contestants in the stand-by line on a first come, first serve basis.
There are two categories that will be judged separately:
- Entries to this category must be between the age of 5 to 12.
- Teens/ Adults
- Entries to this category must be over the age of 13.
Each of these age groups will have a 1st, 2nd and 3rd prize winner. Prize to be determined.
Judging & Awards
- Winners will be determined by a panel of expert cosplayers present at Santa Clara City Library Comic Con.
- Contestants will be judged according to their costume’s resemblance to the character it is based on, representation of their costume, craftsmanship skills, and creativity.
Liliphae is a half-serious/half-just for fun cosplayer and model who made her debut at FanimeCon 2014 in San Jose, California. She subsequently became known for her unwavering involvement in the Northern California cosplay community and her array of versatile cosplay costumes. She has previously judged at several California conventions including SacAnime and FanimeCon.
Kohalu loves cosplay in all its aspects and is a crafting expert. He appreciates the hard work and craftsmanship of the cosplay community and seeing its presentation in the halls of a con and at the masquerade. He has been invited to countless conventions out of both state as well as country, worked with companies like Wizards of the Coast and Riot Games as a professional cosplayer, and has over ten years of experience under his belt!
Miss Ravencrest is a cosplayer based out of Northern California. Starting back in 2006, she has grown from purchasing cosplays to making cosplays to then making sure she incorporates a bit of both in her recent creations. With a focus on armor and props, she has attended larger conventions such as BlizzCon and C2E2 to debut her bigger builds, while using smaller scale conventions to debut the purchased and sewn cosplays. She has a goal to help make sure purchasing cosplay just as accepted in the community as building and sewing your own. With awards from Judge’s Choice at SacAnime to First in Armor at C2E2, Miss Ravencrest wishes to take a different role in local cons as a judge, to help the community grow, and give thanks to new cosplayers that are what make it all possible.
Rules for the Contest
- Each contestant may only enter one costume into the competition.
- Nudity, obscene or graphic content, or other elements deemed inappropriate to the spirit of the competition will disqualify contestants.
- Professional costumers, or those who run a business of commission-based cosplay are encouraged to show off their costumes at the Library Comic Con, but should not enter the competition.
Rules for the Performance:
- The Masquerade Director will read the number of the entry, the name of the contestant and their character. No interaction is allowed with the MC, Judges or audience.
- Contestants must follow the path laid out by the Masquerade Director. Contestant must enter and exit the Masquerade as told by Director. If you violate these rules, you will be disqualified from the competition and may be escorted from the Masquerade.
- Nothing is allowed that would not be allowed in a PG movie. This includes: explicit sexual gestures, nudity or swearing. If you violate these rules, you will be disqualified from the competition and may be escorted from the Masquerade.
- The maximum amount of stage time allowed for the Masquerade contestants is one minute
- You must receive permission for the Masquerade Director if you would like to enter the masquerade with a group of cosplayers
Rules for the Audience:
- Photography and video are allowed if they do not interfere with the Masquerade
- No flash photography allowed.