Winners of the 2019 Santa Clara City Library Children's Poetry Contest
Congratulations to all our winners! An awards ceremony will be held on Tuesday April 30th at 7:00pm at Central Park Library.
Thank you to all contestants for participating--we were wowed by the many wonderful poems that were submitted to the contest by talented children of all ages.
We hope you will continue to polish your skills and enter the contest again next year!
Kindergarten to 2nd Grade Division
1st Place: Julia Hyun for “Lonely Then Lonelier Flower”
2nd Place: Viggo Jonathan for “Splash”
3rd Place: Sandhya Vedula for “My Visit to the Farmer’s Market Every Saturday”
Third and Fourth Grade Division
1st Place: Arnav Maheshwari for “Oh! My Lovely Earth”
2nd Place: Kiera Maben for “Wings”
3rd Place: Nethrakshaya Jakkula for “In My Dream”
Fifth and Sixth Grade Division
1st Place: Grace Ji for “The Stray Dog”
2nd Place: Junseo Lee for “An Acknowledgement”
3rd Place: Saumya Anand for “World Beneath the Surface”
For any questions, please contact Rebecca Gawronski at firstname.lastname@example.org
CALLING ALL POETS!
Submit your haikus, limericks, sonnets, and more for a chance to win the
Santa Clara City Library Children’s Poetry Contest.
We can’t wait to read your best poems!
About the Competition:
- Children from grades K-6 are eligible to participate in the contest. Poems will be judged in the following grade categories: K-2, 3-4, 5-6.
- A 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winner will be selected in each category.
- Each winner will receive a prize, and will have the opportunity to read their poem aloud at an awards ceremony on Tuesday, April 30th at 7:00pm at the Central Park Library.
- Poems are judged based on originality, creativity, and artistic quality as well as use of structure and form.
- Poems must be the writer's own work and may not be submitted without the poet's knowledge and consent.
- All entries must be received by Monday, April 15th. No entries will be returned.
- Poems may be in any form and on any subject, but must be appropriate.
- Poems should be a maximum of 21 lines.
- Poems should be typed (preferred) in standard fonts or written in blue or black ink on US letter-size paper (8.5 x 11), with text on one side only.
- All poets must be in grades K-6 and live within Santa Clara County or have a Santa Clara City Library card.
- Only one entry per poet.
How to Enter:
- Fill out an ENTRY FORM
- Attach your poem to the back of the entry form with a paperclip or staple.
- Turn your entries in at the Youth Services desk at Central Park Library between Monday, April 1st and Monday, April 15th.
Winners will be announced on Wednesday, April 24th. Winners will be posted on the library website and notified by email. An awards ceremony will be held on Tuesday, April 30th, at 7:00pm.
By entering the contest, you agree to allow the Santa Clara City Library to use and/or reproduce your poem (in part or whole), credited to author, for use in promotional material.
This contest is sponsored by the Santa Clara City Library’s Friends and Foundation.