Winners of the 2017 Santa Clara City Library Children's Short Fiction Contest
Congratulations to all our winners! An awards ceremony will be held on
Tuesday, December 19th at 7pm at Central Park Library.
Thank you to all contestants for participating--we were wowed by the many
wonderful stories that were submitted by talented children of all ages.
We hope you will continue to polish your skills and enter the contest again next year!
First - Third Grade Division
Fourth - Sixth Grade Division
For any questions, please contact Kelly Quinn Chiu at firstname.lastname@example.org
CALLING ALL WRITERS!
Celebrate National Novel Writing Month! Submit your best short stories to the Santa Clara City Library Children’s Short Fiction Contest.
About the Competition:
- Children from grades 1-6 are eligible to participate in the contest. Stories will be judged in the two grade categories:
1st-3rd & 4th-6th.
- A 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winner will be selected in each category.
- Each winner will receive a prize, and all will have the opportunity to a short passage from their story aloud at an awards ceremony on Tuesday, December 19th, 2017.
- Stories are judged based on originality, creativity, and artistic quality as well as presentation and mechanics.
- All entries must be received by Thursday, November 30th, 2017. No entries will be returned.
- Stories must be no longer than 600 words (about two pages double-spaced).
- Stories may be on any subject, in any genre, but should be a work of fiction.
- Stories should be typed double-spaced in standard fonts (preferred), or written in blue or black ink.
- All writers must be in grades 1-6 and live within Santa Clara County or have a Santa Clara City Library card.
- Stories must be the writer's own work and submitted with their knowledge and consent.
- Only one entry per writer.
How to Enter:
- Fill out an entry form.
- Attach your story to the back of the entry form with a paperclip.
- Turn your entries in at the Youth Services desk at Central Park Library between Wednesday, November 1st, 2017 and Thursday, November 30th, 2017.
Need some ideas? Here are a few writing prompts to get you started:
- A group of children on vacation see an old house. A local tells them the house is haunted.
- A boy receives a letter from his future self.
- A student at school disappears, but you are the only one who remembers him.
- A mermaid is tricked into giving up her magic shell.
- A boy in ancient Egypt learns a secret about the pharaoh.
- A teacher finds that someone has stolen the answers to Thursday’s test.
- An alien lands in your backyard.
- A class pet decides to escape from his classroom.
- Your best friend moves away at the beginning of summer break.
- A musician practices. When she finishes, she hears someone clapping for her, but there is no one in the room.
- A girl dreams of being a pirate.
- A boy finds a hidden door in his attic.
- A dinosaur arrives at the zoo.
Winners will be announced on Friday, December 15th. Winners and honorable mentions will be posted on the library website and notified by email. An awards ceremony for the winners and honorable mentions will be held on Tuesday, December 19th, at 7pm.
By entering the contest, you agree to allow the Santa Clara City Library to use and/or reproduce your poem (in part or whole), credited to author, for use in promotional material.