The newly renovated Mission Branch Library will be re-opening September 2018 with expanded evening and weekend hours.
Built in 1954, the Mission Branch Library is located at City Park. Mission Branch Library, which serves the Old Quad neighborhood area, was the first separate library facility in Santa Clara until Central Park Library. Except for some building renovations done in the late 90’s, the library has not had a substantial renovation in over 14 years. Additional group study rooms and upgraded amenities, services and collection as well as improved ADA accessibility were needed to provide library service to the diverse community surrounding the Library.
On January 12, 2016, Council approved the Agreement for Design Professional Services with Noll & Tam Architects for the Mission Branch Library Remodel Project. The Mission Branch Library Remodel includes complete upgrade of the interior that allows flexible use of existing spaces and adds small group meeting spaces.
- Open up to 6 days per week, open two nights and Saturdays with additional staff.
- Host regular preschool story times, afterschool programs for school age children and teens, and a variety of events for adults that enrich and educate
- Provide 3 new two-person study rooms 2 new group-study rooms for larger meetings and book groups
- Upgraded ADA accessible public restrooms
- The addition of a Children’s Reading Patio
- Improved Wifi, computer access & printing
- Upgraded patio with additional seating at the front of the library near the entrance
- Upgraded Community Room facility with an patio extension
- Refreshed collection of books, DVDs, and other materials to meet the needs of the vibrant community
- Improved lighting as well as the addition of skylights to bring in natural light
- Attractive low-water and low maintenance landscaping near the building
- LEED Silver to accommodate energy efficiency including all new windows and interior insulation
- New exterior signs visible from the street
The Grand Reopening Celebration of the Mission Branch Library will be on September 22nd.
December 4, 2017 - Mission Branch Library will be closing for renovation. Will reopen late Spring/early Summer 2018.
June 28, 2016 - Final Proposed scope and floor plan
May 25, 2016: 2nd Public Meeting on the Mission Branch renovation. Please join us for a presentation by Noll & Tam Architects to learn about the Mission Library Renovation project and provide community input.