Weekly Curbside Collection
- Set carts out before 7:00 am on your pick-up day with the lids closed, and return them to the rear or side yard by the evening of your collection day.
- List of materials accepted through your weekly curbside recycling
- To increase or decrease the size of your containers, call Municipal Utilities Customer Service at (408) 615-2300.
Garbage or Clean Green Questions? Call Mission Trail Waste Systems at (408) 727-5365
Recycling Questions? Call Recology South Bay at (408) 970-5100
Debris Bin Service
The City of Santa Clara has an exclusive waste hauling franchise agreement with Mission Trail Waste Systems. They are the only contractor permitted to place and collect debris boxes throughout the City, except for those areas specifically zoned industrial. Debris bins can be ordered from Mission Trail Waste Systems through the City of Santa Clara Utility Customer Service by calling (408) 615-2300. View Bin Dimensions and Pricing.
Free Rubbish Disposal Days
Santa Clara residents may take advantage of two FREE disposal drop-off events held on January 22, 2017 and September 17, 2017 from 6am-12pm. Call Mission Trail Waste Systems at (408) 727-5365 to make an appointment and acquire a confirmation number (appointments are released 4 weeks prior to the event). Current utility bill and personal identification required to verify eligibility. Confirmation number required at time of drop-off.
Appointment availability is limited. Hazardous waste is prohibited.
Please Mission Trail Waste Systems at (408) 727-5365 for drop-off location, load size limits and accepted materials.
March 4 and October 21, 2017 at Recology, 650 Martin Ave, Santa Clara. Residents must provide a current collection bill and personal identification to verify eligibility. No appointment required. Questions? Contact Recology South Bay at (408) 970-5100
- Documents for confidential shredding
- E-waste (computers, monitors, printers, etc.)
- Universal waste (batteries, cell phones, CFL's and fluorescent tubes)
- Plastic play structures/toys
Household Hazardous Waste
For disposal of most HHW, make an appointment with the Santa Clara County Household Hazardous Waste Program. Call 408-299-7300 or visiting www.hhw.org. Seniors may contact Heart of the Valley at 408-241-1571 to request pick-up of HHW and pharmaceutical waste.
- Motor oil and oil filter curbside collection: Place motor oil in a plastic container labeled "waste oil". Tape the lid down with masking or duct tape. Place used oil filters in a leak-proof plastic bag. Place items by your recycling cart on your regular collection day. You may set out up to three 1-gallon containers of used motor oil per week.
- Dry cell battery curbside collection: Tape the positive terminals and place in a zip-lock bag on top of your garbage cart. Residents with front-load bin service may drop off batteries at any Santa Clara Fire Station seven days a week from 8:00am to 5:00pm.
- Fluorescent bulb curbside collection: Compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFL's) can be placed in a zip-lock bag next to your recycling cart on your regular collection day. Fluorescent tubes can be dropped off at any of these locations.
- Explosives and Ammunition: Call the Police Department at (408) 615-4700.
- E-waste: Find a local e-waste recycler at www.recyclestuff.org.
- Paint: Find a drop off location at www.paintcare.org/drop-off-locations/
Holiday Garbage Collection
Garbage, Recycling and Clean Green collection schedule will happen a day late after the following holidays, including Saturday service when the regular collection day is Friday:
- Thanksgiving Day (Thursday, 11/23/17)
Extra Holiday Waste: Santa Clara residents may set out two 32-gallon garbage bags per week on their regular collection day from December 26 through January 6 at no extra charge. Please recycle all non-metallic gift wrap, tissue paper, cards, boxes and tags.
- Holiday Tree collection: Trees will be collected the week of January 9, 2017 - January 13, 2017. Please follow the set-out instructions:
- Strip the tree and set out on your regular collection day
- The City does not collect trees on private streets. Residents of multi-family dwellings may set out their trees on the nearest public street. Call 408-615-3080 to find out what day we will be servicing your area
- If you miss your pick-up day, you can bring in your tree (no larger than 9 feet) to the Corp Yard located at 1700 Walsh Avenue during the week of January 9-13
- After January 13, cut up your tree and place the pieces in the Clean Green cart. Flocked trees (trees with artificial snow) should be placed in the garbage cart.