Weekly Curbside Collection
- Set carts out before 7:00 am on your pick-up day with the lids closed, and return them to the rear or side yard by the evening of your collection day.
- List of materials accepted through your weekly curbside recycling
- To increase or decrease the size of your containers, call Municipal Utilities Customer Service at (408) 615-2300.
Garbage or Clean Green Questions? Call Mission Trail Waste Systems at (408) 727-5365
Recycling Questions? Call Recology South Bay at (408) 970-5100
Debris Bin Service Debris bins can be ordered from Mission Trail Waste Systems through the City of Santa Clara Utility Customer Service by calling (408) 615-2300. View Bin Dimensions and Pricing.
Free Rubbish Disposal Days
January 24 and September 18, 2016.Call (408) 727-5365 to make an appointment. Provide a current collection bill and personal identification to verify eligibility.
- Construction and demolition materials
- Wood and green waste
- Computer monitors and CPUs
- Cardboard (flattened)
March 5 and October 15, 2016 at Recology, 650 Martin Ave, Santa Clara. Residents must provide a current collection bill and personal identification to verify eligibility. No appointment required. Questions? Contact Recology South Bay at (408) 970-5100
- Documents for confidential shredding
- E-waste (computers, monitors, printers, etc.)
- Universal waste (batteries, cell phones, CFL's and fluorescent tubes)
- Plastic play structures/toys
Household Hazardous Waste
For disposal of most HHW, make an appointment with the Santa Clara County Household Hazardous Waste Program. Call 408-299-7300 or visiting www.hhw.org. Seniors may contact Heart of the Valley at 408-241-1571 to request pick-up of HHW and pharmaceutical waste.
- Motor oil and oil filter curbside collection: Place motor oil in a plastic container labeled "waste oil". Tape the lid down with masking or duct tape. Place used oil filters in a leak-proof plastic bag. Place items by your recycling cart on your regular collection day. You may set out up to three 1-gallon containers of used motor oil per week.
- Dry cell battery curbside collection: Tape the positive terminals and place in a zip-lock bag on top of your garbage cart. Residents with front-load bin service may drop off batteries at any Santa Clara Fire Station seven days a week from 8:00am to 5:00pm.
- Fluorescent bulb curbside collection: Compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFL's) can be placed in a zip-lock bag next to your recycling cart on your regular collection day. Fluorescent tubes can be dropped off at any of these locations.
- Explosives and Ammunition: Call the Police Department at (408) 615-4700.
- E-waste: Find a local e-waste recycler at www.recyclestuff.org.
- Paint: Find a drop off location at www.paintcare.org/drop-off-locations/
Holiday Garbage Collection
Garbage, Recycling and Clean Green collection schedule will happen a day late after the following holidays, including Saturday service when the regular collection day is Friday:
- Thanksgiving Day (Thursday, 11/24/16)
Extra Holiday Waste: Santa Clara residents may set out two 32-gallon garbage bags per week on their regular collection day from December 26 through January 7 at no extra charge. Please recycle all non-metallic gift wrap, tissue paper, cards, boxes and tags.
- Holiday Tree collection: Trees will be collected the week of January 4, 2016 - January 8, 2016. Please follow the set-out instructions:
- Strip the tree and set out on your regular collection day
- The City does not collect trees on private streets. Residents of multi-family dwellings may set out their trees on the nearest public street. Call 408-615-3080 to find out what day we will be servicing your area
- If you miss your pick-up day, you can bring in your tree (no larger than 9 feet) to the Corp Yard located at 1700 Walsh Avenue during the week of January 5-9
- After January 9, cut up your tree and place the pieces in the Clean Green cart. Flocked trees (trees with artificial snow) should be placed in the garbage cart.