Weekly Curbside Collection
- Set carts out before 7:00 am on your pick-up day with the lids closed, and return them to the rear or side yard by the evening of your collection day.
- List of materials accepted through your weekly curbside recycling
- To increase or decrease the size of your containers, call Municipal Utilities Customer Service at (408) 615-2300.
Garbage or Clean Green Questions? Call Mission Trail Waste Systems at (408) 727-5365
Recycling Questions? Call Recology South Bay at (408) 970-5100
Debris Bin Service
The City of Santa Clara has an exclusive waste hauling franchise agreement with Mission Trail Waste Systems. They are the only contractor permitted to place and collect debris boxes throughout the City, except for those areas specifically zoned industrial. Debris bins can be ordered from Mission Trail Waste Systems through the City of Santa Clara Utility Customer Service by calling (408) 615-2300.
Free Rubbish Disposal Days
Santa Clara residents may take advantage of two FREE disposal drop-off events held on January 28, 2018 and September 16, 2018 from 6am-12pm. Call Mission Trail Waste Systems at (408) 727-5365 to make an appointment and acquire a confirmation number (appointments are released 2 weeks prior to the event). Current utility bill and personal identification required to verify eligibility. Confirmation number required at time of drop-off.
Appointment availability is limited. Hazardous waste is prohibited.
Please call Mission Trail Waste Systems at (408) 727-5365 for drop-off location, load size limits, and accepted materials.
March 3, 2018 from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. at Recology, 650 Martin Ave., Santa Clara
October 20, 2018 from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.at Recology,1675 Rogers Ave., San Jose
Residents must provide a current collection bill and personal identification to verify eligibility. No appointment required. Questions? Contact Recology South Bay at (408) 970-5100.
- Documents for confidential shredding
- E-waste (computers, monitors, printers, etc.)
- Universal waste (batteries, cell phones, CFL's, and fluorescent tubes)
- Plastic play structures/toys
Household Hazardous Waste
For disposal of most HHW, make an appointment with the Santa Clara County Household Hazardous Waste Program. Call 408-299-7300 or visit www.hhw.org. Seniors may contact Heart of the Valley at 408-241-1571 to request pick-up of HHW and pharmaceutical waste.
- Motor oil and oil filter curbside collection: Place motor oil in a plastic container labeled "waste oil". Tape the lid down with masking or duct tape. Place used oil filters in a leak-proof plastic bag. Place items by your recycling cart on your regular collection day. You may set out up to three 1-gallon containers of used motor oil per week.
- Dry cell battery curbside collection: Tape the positive terminals and place in a zip-lock bag on top of your garbage cart. Residents with front-load bin service may drop off batteries at any Santa Clara Fire Station seven days a week from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.
- Fluorescent bulb curbside collection: Compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFL's) can be placed in a zip-lock bag next to your recycling cart on your regular collection day. Fluorescent tubes can be dropped off at any of these locations.
- Explosives and Ammunition: Call the Police Department at (408) 615-4700.
- E-waste: Find a local e-waste recycling center at http://recyclestuff.org/.
- Paint: Find a drop off location at www.paintcare.org/drop-off-locations/
Need to dispose of other materials not listed here? Visit RecycleStuff to find local recycling centers.
Holiday Garbage Collection
Garbage, Recycling, and Clean Green services will take place a day late after the following holidays, including Saturday service when the regular collection day is Friday:
- Thanksgiving Day (Thursday, 11/22/18)
- Christmas Day (Tuesday, 12/25/18)
- New Years Day (Tuesday, 1/1/19)
Extra Holiday Waste
Santa Clara residents with cart service may set out two 32-gallon garbage bags per week on their regular collection day from December 26, 2018 through January 7, 2019 at no extra charge. Multi-family dwellings with shared bin service may request one free service of each garbage bin per year by contacting MTWS at (408) 727-5365. Please recycle all non-metallic gift wrap, tissue paper, cards, boxes, and tags.
Holiday Tree Collection
Trees will be collected the week of January 8, 2018 - January 12, 2018. Please follow the set-out instructions:
- Strip the tree and set out on your regular collection day
- The City does not collect trees on private streets. Residents of multi-family dwellings may set out their trees on the nearest public street. Call (408) 615-3080 to find out what day we will be servicing your area
- If you miss your pick-up day, you can bring in your tree (no larger than 9 feet) to the Corp Yard located at 1700 Walsh Avenue during the week of January 8-12
- After January 12, 2018 cut up your tree and place the pieces in the Clean Green cart. Flocked trees (trees with artificial snow) should be placed in the garbage cart.