Water from your neighborhood enters the storm drain system and flows directly to local creeks and the Bay without any treatment. Pollutants make their way into the storm drains when carried by rain or other runoff. Most storm water pollutants often come from sources such as:
- Motor oil and leaks and other automotive fluids
- Antifreeze, oil, paint or household cleaners dumped or rinsed into the gutter
- Soap and dirt from washing cars in the driveway or street
- Litter and trash debris from overfilled solid waste containers
- Weed killers, fertilizers and pesticides that are washed off lawns
- Soil from construction or landscaping that erodes or blows into the street
Help Prevent Localized Flooding in your Neighborhood
- Don't blow leaves and yard debris into the street where it can clog catch basin inlets
- Removed parked vehicles from the street on sweeping days to enable the sweeper to reach the gutter line.
For information on how to prevent storm water pollution and storm drain clogging, visit the Watershed Watch website.
Report Storm Drain Problems
Contact the Public Works Corporation Yard at (408) 615-3080 if you encounter any of the following issues:
- Flooding in City streets
- Illegal dumping of liquids or solids into storm drains.
- Noisy manhole covers
- Overflowing or plugged-up storm drains
- Pets or items fallen into storm drains
- Sandbag requests for flood prevention (Santa Clara residents only). For other residents or businesses in Santa Clara County, please call (888)439-6624 or visit the Santa Clara Valley Water District website.
In case of an emergency after 4:30 pm or on weekends, please call (408) 615-5640.
Report Creek Flooding and Creek hazards
- Flooding in Santa Clara County creeks: contact the Santa Clara Valley Water District Flood Control Department at (408) 265-2600 x2378 during regular office hours. For after-hours emergencies, please call (408) 615-5640.
- Hazardous spills or illegal dumping in creeks within Santa Clara County: contact the contact the Santa Clara Valley Water District at (888) 510-5151.