Skip to page body Home Residents Business Goverment Services About
Contact Us

Kevin L. Riley
Director of Planning & Inspection

Email: Planning & Inspection
Telephone: 408-615-2450
Fax: 408-247-9857

Monday - Friday
8:00A-12:00P, 1:00P-5:00P

1500 Warburton Avenue
Santa Clara, CA 95050

Zoning Amendments


Zoning Districts are established to regulate the use(s) and development standards of each property in the City. Zoning relates to the nature of allowed uses, such as residential, commercial, industrial, office and public uses, and provides regulations and development standards within each of these districts.

Any zoning district established by the Zoning Ordinance (or the boundaries of any district) may be changed, amended or altered. Any property in the City may be zoned or rezoned whenever public necessity, community welfare and property zoning practice indicate a change is warranted. The zone change should be consistent with the City's General Plan and other City regulations.

How to determine the zoning information of any property

For information about the zoning of any property, visit the Permit Center located at City Hall, 1500 Warburton Ave, Santa Clara or call the Planning Division at (408) 615.2450. To accurately provide information, inquiries must include the property's assessors parcel number (APN), street address or the property owner's name in order to determine the zoning classification. The City’s Zoning Map can also be found online at: City of Santa Clara Zoning Map (3.16MB)

For information on the allowed land uses and development activities under each zoning classification, see the City’s Zoning Regulations. The zoning regulations are available at the Planning Division or online.

An application to the Planning Division must be accompanied by twelve (12) copies of fully dimensioned site plans, floor plans and elevation drawings of proposed structures and one 8 ½” x 11” reduced copy of each of the drawings. Applications must have the property owner’s signature prior to submittal. Detailed instructions and submittal requirements are provided on the application form. Such application shall be accompanied by a non-refundable fee as shown in the Planning Application Fee Schedule.

Zoning map changes may be originated by the City Council, the Planning Commission or the property owner. Amendments of the text of the Zoning Ordinance are initiated by the City Council or the Planning Commission.

For a detailed explanation on the Rezoning process and submittal requirements, please click on the link below:

Last updated: 3/26/2010 12:22:59 PM