Excess Garbage and Debris - Information
- If you need a bigger garbage cart, call Mission Trail Waste Systems (MTWS) at (408) 727-5365.
- If you have excess garbage for a particular week that will not fit into your black garbage cart, you must purchase extra garbage "bag tags" at $4.00 per tag. Excess garbage can be put out next to your black cart in a 30-gallon garbage bag with the "bag tag" on it. You can purchase the "bag tags" in person at City Hall located at 1500 Warburton Avenue at the Utility Payment window, or you can mail in your check for the number of tags needed to: The City of Santa Clara Attn: Municipal Utilities - Finance Division 1500 Warburton Avenue Santa Clara, CA 95050. For more information, or questions call Santa Clara Municipal Utilities at (408) 615-2300.
- Debris bins for large amounts of excess waste can be ordered through the City of Santa Clara Utility Customer Service (CSCUCS), and will be delivered and picked up by MTWS. To request a debris bin you must call CSCUCS at (408) 615-2316 or (408) 615-2300. You must fill out the form in person at City Hall, or have access to a fax machine in order to receive and deliver the paperwork. For prices, bin dimensions, and instructions on how to order, click here (PDF). Debris bins must be requested at least one day prior to delivery. If the request is received after 4:00 pm, the delivery will be two business days later. Debris bins will be removed 7 days after delivery, unless arrangements for early or late bin collections are made at least 24 hours prior to scheduled pick-up. If the bin is needed beyond seven days, customer must request an extension, and pay an additional $50 per week. Please see the instruction sheet for more detail.
- If you would like to place the debris bin on a public street in front of your residence, a "Permit for Placement of Refuse Bin" is needed from the City. Permits are issued at the Utility Service Window at the time the debris bin is ordered. See instruction sheet for price. Permits are for seven (7) days, but can be extended.
- Free Disposal Day is an event held twice per year in which Santa Clara residents can take excess garbage (not including hazardous waste) to the Mission Trail Waste Transfer Station at 1313 Memorex Drive in Santa Clara. Proof of City of Santa Clara residency (driver's license, utility bill, California identification card, etc.) will be required. For Free Disposal Day dates, please check Refuse & Recycling Dates to Remember, or call MTWS at (408) 727-5365.
- The following restrictions apply for the Free Disposal Day. Acceptable materials include: (a) up to seven cubic yards of residential waste, of which one cubic yard may consist of concrete, asphalt, or dirt; (b) yard waste; (c) recyclable materials (please separate and place in recycling area); (d) white goods (refrigerators, stoves, dishwashers, other appliances; and (e) old furniture.
- Unacceptable materials for the Free Disposal Day are as follows: (a) garbage (food, kitchen, or bathroom waste); (b) hazardous materials (old paints, pesticides, chemicals, etc.); (c) animal wastes; (d) liquid waste; and (e) all waste exceeding seven cubic yards. Residents having more than seven cubic yards of waste may dispose of the materials, but will be charged according to the current posted rates at MTWS.
- The Annual Clean-Up Campaign is an event held once a year for Santa Clara residents. The City has been divided into four collection areas and each assigned a different collection week. Details are available at Annual Clean-Up Campaign, in the Inside Santa Clara quarterly newspaper, and in the February utility bill inserts. Details can also be obtained from the Street Department Corporation Yard at (408) 615-3080.
- If you have a large amount of refuse, and you would like to take it to one of the local landfills or transfer stations, you must call first for a quote on fees, or be prepared to pay a fee at the following locations:
1. IDC/Allied - Newby Island Sanitary Landfill
1601 Dixon Landing Road (near 880 & Dixon Landing Road) in Milpitas
Phone: (408) 262-1401
2. Mission Trail Waste Systems Transfer Station
1313 Memorex Drive (cross street: Lafayette Street) in Santa Clara
Phone: (408) 727-5365
Web: no current web address
3. Zanker Road Landfill
705 Los Esteros Road (near 237 & Zanker Road) in San Jose
Phone: (408) 263-2384
Tel: (408) 615-3080
Fax: (408) 988-0237
Street Corporation Yard
1700 Walsh Avenue
Santa Clara, CA 95050