Skip to page body Home Residents Business Goverment Services About
Contact Us

Rajeev Batra, P.E.
Director of Public Works / City Engineer

Email: Public Works
Telephone: 408-615-3000
Fax: 408-985-7936

Monday - Friday
8:00A-12:00P, 1:00P-5:00P

1500 Warburton Avenue
Santa Clara, CA 95050

Household Hazardous Waste Disposal

Protect your family, pets, and the environment by disposing of your hazardous products properly.

oilMotor Oil & Oil filters

Used motor oil:

  • Place in one-gallon or less plastic containers (such as old motor oil bottles OR rinsed detergent, fabric softener, milk or juice jugs) with screw-top lids. Pop-top plastic containers may also be used; be sure to tape the top down securely with masking or duct tape.
  • Label the container “waste oil” and set beside your gray bin.

Oil filters: Place in sealed, leak-proof plastic bags and place next to your gray bin.

Explosives and Ammunition

Call the Police Department at 408-615-4700.


Households can safely set out household dry cell batteries in zip-lock style plastic bags with their curbside garbage collection service. Residents with front load bin service may drop off their household dry cell batteries at any Santa Clara fire station seven days a week, from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Accepted Batteries - Dry cell batteries D, C, AA, AAA, and 9-volt; single use CZn, alkaline, and zinc air; and NiCd, NiMH, and NiFe reusable/rechargeable batteries.

For all other batteries contact the County-wide Household Hazardous Waste Program at (408) 299-7300 to make an appointment to drop off batteries that are not accepted through the curbside program.

If you have questions about the curbside household battery collection program, please call Mission Trail Waste Systems at (408) 727-5365 or the Street Department at (408) 615-3080.


The Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC) has banned electronic waste from going into the landfill and requires that it be recycled. E-waste includes items that require a battery or electrical cord to operate, such as televisions, computers, cell phones, telephones, CD and DVD players, radios, electronic tablets, stereo equipment, VCR's, fax machines, printers, handheld video games, etc.  E-waste can be recycled in several different ways:

  1. County-Wide Household Hazardous Waste Program Drop-off Events - call 408-299-7300 or go to This website also provides a link to a list of businesses located in the City of Santa Clara that recycle e-waste all year.
  2. Visit and follow the instructions.
  3. Recology Environmental Days -drop-off e-waste at Recology's office, located at 650 Martin Avenue in Santa Clara.  Check Refuse & Recycling Dates to Remember for the next scheduled Environmental Day.  For more information, call Recology at 408-970-5100 or visit their website.
  4. Free pick-up of e-waste by companies or individuals.Companies or individuals collecting e-waste the remainder of the year are not sanctioned by the City of Santa Clara.
  5. City of Santa Clara Annual Cleanup Day.

If you have any other questions, call the Street Department at 408-615-3080.

CFLFluorescent Bulb Recycling 

Fluorescent bulbs (compact fluorescent light bulbs or CFL's) and fluorescent tubes cannot be placed in your garbage for disposal. CFL's and fluorescent tubes are banned from going into landfills because they contain a significant amount of mercury. Here are ways that you can properly recycle your fluorescent tubes and CFL's: 

  1. Go to and click on the "Fluorescent Bulb Drop-Off Locations" site for a list of local retailers that will accept fluorescent tubes and/or CFL's for free during open business hours.
  2. Call (408) 299-7300 to make an appointment to attend a Santa Clara County Household Drop-Off event to recycle fluorescent tubes and CFL's, as well as other household hazardous waste.
  3. Single-family homes may recycle CFL's only (no tubes) through the residential curbside recycling program. Simply place the CFL's in a ziplock-style plastic bag and set on the ground next to the blue recycling cart on your regular solid waste collection day.


You can recycle interior and exterior architectural coatings sold in containers of 5 gallons or less. PaintCare accepts all house paint and primers, stains, sealers, and clear coatings (such as shellac and varnish) but does not accept aerosols (spray cans), solvents, and products intended for industrial or non-architectural use. Visit PaintCare to find a drop-off location near you. 

Last updated: 5/8/2014 9:32:17 AM