Mission: "To serve our customers and the community through efficient delivery of projects and services."
Public Works Department
The Public Works Department is managed through four divisions: Traffic Engineering, Design, Field Services, and Land and Property Development.
Building Maintenance Division
- Plans, designs and provides construction management and inspection for public infrastructure projects such as storm drains, sanitary sewers, roads, traffic signals, pedestrian, bicycle and vehicular facilities, as well as public buildings.
- Cleanup of contaminated soils and groundwater on City property.
- Facilitates private residential, commercial, and industrial developments by providing plan review functions, collecting development fees, managing Assessment Districts, processing of subdivision maps, lot line adjustments, easements, agreements, and issuance of encroachment permits for work in the public right-of-way or easements dedicated for City facilities, and the inspection of private improvements in the public right-of-way.
- Coordinates projects and programs with local, state, and federal agencies to obtain grants and permits for the City such as the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) Flood Insurance Program.
- Works with the Street & Automotive Services Department to implement the maintenance and resurfacing of City streets.
- All of the above City projects are supported by land surveying and materials testing functions, as well as signage and pavement striping and markings in the public right-of-way for the safe flow of pedestrian, bicycle and vehicular traffic.
The Building Maintenance Division is responsible for the repair and maintenance of approximately 700,000 square feet of City-owned buildings. The Division provides janitorial services to most City buildings using contracted services.