Mission: "To serve our customers and the community through efficient delivery of projects and services."
The Public Works Department is managed through:
The four subdivisions of Traffic Engineering, Design, Field Services, and Land and Property Development make up the Engineering Division and are responsible for:
Maintenance/Operations Division (formerly Street and Automotive Services Department)
- Plans, designs and provides construction management and inspection for public infrastructure projects such as storm drains, sanitary sewers, roads, traffic signals, pedestrian, bicycle and vehicular facilities, as well as public buildings.
- Cleanup of contaminated soils and groundwater on City property.
- Facilitates private residential, commercial, and industrial developments by providing plan review functions, collecting development fees, managing Assessment Districts, processing of subdivision maps, lot line adjustments, easements, agreements, and issuance of encroachment permits for work in the public right-of-way or easements dedicated for City facilities, and the inspection of private improvements in the public right-of-way.
- Coordinates projects and programs with local, state, and federal agencies to obtain grants and permits for the City such as the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) Flood Insurance Program.
- Works with the Street & Automotive Services Department to implement the maintenance and resurfacing of City streets.
- All of the above City projects are supported by land surveying and materials testing functions, as well as signage and pavement striping and markings in the public right-of-way for the safe flow of pedestrian, bicycle and vehicular traffic.
The six sub-divisions of Street Maintenance, Solid Waste, Storm Drains, Parkways & Boulevards, Traffic Maintenance, and Automotive Services make up the Maintenance/Operations Division and are responsible for the following:
Building Maintenance Division
- Maintain City streets and sidewalks to lengthen service life, improve rideability and enhance public safety.
- Fabricate, install and maintain traffic signs, striping, curb markings, pavement messages, and other traffic related facilities.
- Provide support for the diverse fleet operations to ensure safe, efficient, and cost effective maintenance, repair, fueling, and replacement of City owned vehicles and equipment.
- Maintain maximum efficiency of storm drain collection and pumping facilities.
- Maintain comprehensive system for the periodic collection, removal and disposal of all refuse from all premises within the City including solid waste collection, recycling, hazardous waste collection and street sweeping.
- Maintain healthy and safe City street trees by providing trimming, removal and replacement services.
- Maintain median landscaping and landscaping of various City-owned properties.
- Minimize nuisances caused by graffiti, illegal signs, and code violations.
- Minimize storm water pollution.
The Building Maintenance Division is responsible for:
- Repair and maintenance of approximately 700,000 square feet of City-owned buildings.
- Provides janitorial services to most City buildings using contracted services.