Past Agenda Reports - 49ers
Past Agenda Reports in Chronological Order
Please note that the PDF files are very large and may take several minutes to load if you are on a dial-up connection. If you have difficulty opening the PDF, you may need to refresh the page (F5) or download a newer version of Adobe Acrobat Reader .
See links below for all previous materials on this topic that have been considered at City Council Meetings.
On June 8, 2010, Santa Clara voters approved the ballot measure for the proposed stadium project.
Stadium Project Chronology:
- November 2006, 49ers announced their interest in building a football stadium in the City of Santa Clara, to be located on part of the parking lot of Great America Theme Park, 5000 Great America Parkway, just south of Tasman Blvd., on land which is owned by the City and leased to Great America for parking.
- January 15, 2008, after a year of extensive research, discussions, public comment, and an eight-month feasibility study, the City Council determined that the 49ers proposed stadium presents a potential entertainment/economic opportunity for the City’s North Bayshore Area. Council directs the City Manager to enter into negotiations with the 49ers. The preliminary negotiations are non-binding – they do not commit the City to the stadium project – and are to create a Term Sheet agreement, to further examine issues and clarify and document understandings and guarantees of all parties involved in the proposed project.
- January 22, 2008, Council discussed the type and timing of a ballot measure for the proposed stadium, with the goal that eventual Term Sheet elements could be reflected in potential ballot language.
- June 2, 2009, Council approved the Term Sheet for the potential stadium, which clarifies and documents the understandings and commitments of the involved parties.
- July 14, 2009, Council and the public received a presentation by the 49ers on the proposed stadium design.
- July 30, 2009, Draft Environmental Impact Report for the stadium project is completed and released for public review and comment.
- August – September 2009, a Charter Review Committee met to review and make an advisory recommendation to the City Council about whether or not to consider a second ballot measure in 2010 to amend the City Charter language regarding competitive bidding for the stadium project. The Committee also reviewed and considered proposed Senate Bill 43 (Alquist), a bill that would allow the City to use a design-build process for the stadium project without needing to modify the City Charter.
- October 27, 2009, Council approved the Charter Review Committee’s recommendation to use the authority granted under SB 43 (Alquist) to allow for a limited design-build process for the stadium project.
- December 8, 2009, Council certified the Environmental Impact Report for the stadium project and selected June 8, 2009 as the date to place project on the ballot.
- December 11, 2009, a citizens group submitted to the City Clerk a Notice of Intent to Circulate an Initiative Petition titled “The Santa Clara Stadium Taxpayer Protection and Economic Progress Act.”
- December 15, 2009, Council approved continuing discussion of a City ballot measure to February 2010, in order to allow the citizen-based initiative to continue to move forward. If the citizen petition fails to qualify for the ballot or if Council decides for some other reason to place their own measure on the ballot, the deadline to do so is the March 9, 2010 Council meeting.
- February 9, 2010, Council approved ballot question language for the June 8, 2010 election, and approved the transfer and appropriation of $390,000 in Redevelopment Agency funds to place the measure on the ballot.
- March 9, 2010, Council approved a resolution of of findings concerning significant environmental impacts, mitigation measure and alternatives, a Statement of Overriding Considerations, and a Mitigated Monitoring or Reporting Program for the proposed stadium project, and General Plan Amendment No. 72 and RDA Plan Amendment 20 to change the text of the Tourist Commercial designation of the Land Use Element to include specific language about stadiums and arenas.
- March 30, 2010, Council approved moving forward with the process of forming a Community Facilities District (CFD). If approved by a vote of the hotel property owners included in the CFD, a special tax equivalent to 2% transient occupancy tax (TOT) would be placed on those eight hotels. This special tax would be pledged to finance portions of the publicly owned infrastructure for the proposed stadium project, up to a cap of $35 million (excluding debt service and other financing costs). At the same meeting, Council passed to print an Ordinance approving and adopting the proposed Amendment No. 20 to the Redevelopment Plan for the Bayshore North Project, which would expand the land use definitions to include stadiums.
- May 11, 2010, Council gave final approval for the formation of a Community Facilities District (CFD) as part of the proposed stadium project. The involved hotels voted unanimously to place a 2% special tax on their hotel room nights, to finance portions of the publicly owned infrastructure, up to a cap of $35 million. The hotel tax does not take effect until the stadium is opened. If the stadium ballot measure does not pass on June 8, the CFD would be dissolved.
- June 8, 2010, City of Santa Clara voters approved moving forward with the proposed stadium project (58.2% majority).
- June 15, 2010, the 49ers received a permit to place a temporary sign announcing the location of proposed stadium.
- October 12, 2010, Council approved the establishment of an Off-Site Parking Facilities program and fee for sports and entertainment venues north of Highway 101. This program and fee will allow the City to manage offsite parking facilities, particularly those used for stadium events, to ensure they are operated in a consistent and orderly fashion.
- November 9, 2010, Rezoning of the proposed stadium site from Public or Quasi Public and Public Park or Recreation (B) to Planned Development (PD) was accomplished, and and Council amended an existing Planned Development (PD) Zone; approval was granted of the architectural design of the stadium project, as well as approval of the tentative subdivision map for the project.
- February 22, 2011, Council passed to print an ordinance adopting an SB 211 amendment to remove the time limit to incur debt for the Bayshore North Redevelopment Project Area. The Council also passed to print an ordinance extending the life of the Bayshore North Redevelopment Project Area by one year, formed the Stadium Authority (SA), and approved a cooperation agreement for the Agency funding for the stadium project.
- March 21, 2011 – The Santa Clara Redevelopment Agency and Stadium Authority adopted a Resolution approving the Predevelopment Funding Agreement between the Redevelopment Agency, Stadium Authority and Forty Niners Stadium LLC, providing $4 million in funding from tax increment revenues for certain costs associated with the Stadium Project.
- April 5, 2011 – The Santa Clara Stadium Authority adopted a Resolution approving a Naming Rights Marketing Agreement between the Stadium Authority and the Forty Niners Stadium LLC (Stadco), providing Stadco the exclusive right to market the Naming Rights for the Stadium for a twenty-four month period.
- June 7, 2011 – A “Committee of the Whole” study session took place to provide an update to Council and the public on the status of the stadium project, specifically in the areas of the stadium lease structure, stadium management, and DDA and financing plan.
- June 14, 2011 – The Stadium Authority approved the Stadium Authority 2011-12 total budget of $1,555,080, to fund make-ready design work through December 2011, and for Stadium Authority administrative and consulting expenses through June 2012.
- July 5, 2011 – The Stadium Authority took several actions: 1) adopted a Resolution approving an Agreement for Stadium Builders License Sales between the Santa Clara Stadium Authority and Legends Premium Sales, LLC to market and sell Stadium Builders Licenses (SBLs); 2) selected Volume Services, Inc. (DBA Centerplate) as the concessionaire for the stadium and entered into an agreement with Centerplate and Stadco for concessions-related pre-opening services in the stadium; 3) adopted a resolution approving a Subcontractor Selection and Procurement Plan in order to implement the requirements of Senate Bill 43 (SB-43), which allows the Stadium Authority to award a design-build contract for the construction of the Stadium project under specific conditions; and 4) adopted a resolution approving an agreement with Stadco regarding stadium design in order to move forward with design development of the stadium.
- July 12, 2011 - The Council accepted the Montana Group’s proposal to enter into an exclusive negotiating agreement for development of two City owned parcels in the vicinity of the Stadium Project for 18 months subject to conditions.
- November 15, 2011 – The Stadium Authority approved proceeding with make ready work for the Stadium site in the approximate amount of $10 million to relocate utilities, etc. to get the site ready for construction of the Stadium project; delegated authority to the City Manager/Executive Director to award bid contracts and approve change orders with reports to the Stadium Authority every two months; approved a new job specification for a Principal Planner position to work on the Transportation Management and Operations Plan (TMOP) as required in the Stadium Environmental Impact Report; and authorized City Manager to award bid contracts associated with Mission Substation construction which will help to replace the Tasman Drive substation to be moved away from the adjacent site.
- December 13, 2011 - After two public Study Sessions on December 6 and 8, the Santa Clara Stadium Authority approved a Disposition and Development Agreement (DDA) between the Stadium Authority and the 49ers Stadium Company (StadCo), which is the overall legal structure of the Stadium Project. The Stadium Authority also approved the Preliminary Finance Plan and related documents including financing commitment documents relating to the plan for the financing of the stadium. Both actions are significant steps toward the start of Stadium construction, anticipated for 2013. Key announcements included commitments for construction financing obtained from three lenders: Goldman, Sachs & Co., Bank of America/Merrill Lynch, and U.S. Bank.
- January 10, 2012 - Approved Fourth Amendment to the Theme Park Ground Lease with Cedar Fair, accepted a Quitclaim Deed from Cedar Fair, granted an easement over certain property for the use of the parking for the Stadium, and approved a Parking Agreement with Cedar Fair.
- February 14, 2012 - Approved the Design-Build Agreement with Turner Devcon Joint Venture and Forty Niners Stadium, LLC for construction of a professional football Stadium, and approved the Construction Agency Agreement with Forty Niners Stadium, LLC for administration and management of Stadium construction.
- February 28, 2012 - Approved a Ground Lease between the City and the Santa Clara Stadium Authority for City-owned property to be developed for a professional football Stadium.
2012: Anticipated actions include consideration and approval of appropriate lease documents, a project management agreement, a public improvement agreement, a Community Facilities District (CFD) reimbursement agreement, finalizing the Stadium design, issuance of construction permits, and the finalizing of a Stadium Financing Plan. The Final Financing Plan will outline in more detail the amount and timing of the various funding sources and demonstrate to the Stadium Authority’s satisfaction that sufficient assets, credit and revenue streams are available to timely fund the stadium construction.
May 2012: Anticipated start of construction.
2014: Opening of the stadium in time for the 2014 football season.
Links to Past Reports and Background Material
All reports considered by the City Council regarding the proposal of the 49ers to build a stadium in Santa Clara can be accessed online. Please note that the PDF files are very large and may take several minutes to load if you are on a dial-up connection.
Project Application Resubmittal
This is the majority of the project application resubmittal. The complete resubmittal, including full size plans, are available for review at the City of Santa Clara Planning Department during normal business hours.
Past Agenda Reports in Chronological Order
August 28, 2012
August 21, 2012
May 8, 2012
April 24, 2012
March 27, 2012
March 15, 2012
March 13, 2012
March 6, 2012
February 28, 2012
- Approval of Final Map - Tract 10118 4900 Centennial Blvd (APNs: 104-43-001, 030, 047, 049, & 050; 104-06-012, 013, 014, 017, 039, 040, & 085); Owner(s): City of Santa Clara; Developer(s): 49ers Stadium LLC
February 14, 2012
January 24, 2012
January 10, 2012
January 3, 2012
December 13, 2011
December 8, 2011
December 6, 2011
November 15, 2011
- Delegation of Authority to Executive Director of Stadium Authority for Award of Contracts and Approval of change Orders and Agreements for the Stadium Site Preparation Project (Make Ready Work).
October 25, 2011
August 16, 2011
July 12, 2011
July 5, 2011
June 28, 2011
June 14, 2011
June 7, 2011
May 24, 2011
May 10, 2011
April 19, 2011
April 5, 2011
March 29, 2011
March 21, 2011
March 15, 2011
March 8, 2011
February 28, 2011
February 22, 2011
February 8, 2011
November 16, 2010
November 9, 2010
October 12, 2010
September 8, 2010, 7 p.m., Planning Commission Meeting
August 31, 2010
July 13, 2010
- Adoption of a Resolution reciting the fact of the Special Municipal Election held on June 8, 2010, declaring the enactment by the voters of Measure J, "The Santa Clara Stadium Taxpayer Protection and Economic Progress Act," and such other matters as provided by law, and that Measure J was approved by the voters.
- Approval of Call No. 10-1 for Professional Services with MTH Engineers, Inc., in an amount not to exceed $525,507, for Miscellaneous Consulting Services for Engineering, Design and Construction Support of the Esperanca Substation.
- Pass to print an Ordinance amending Chapter 18.54 (Regulations for PD-Planned Development and Combined Zoning Districts) of Title 18 (Zoning Ordinance) of the Santa Clara City Code to provide more flexibility in landscaping, building lot coverage, circulation and on-site parking requirements and pass to print an Ordinance adding Chapter 18.86 (Off-Sit Parking Provisions) to Title 18 (Zoning Ordinance of the Santa Clara City Code to provide a mechanism to facilitate the provision of required on-site parking in off-site parking lots
July 6, 2010
June 15, 2010
May 25, 2010
May 11, 2010
April 27, 2010
April 20, 2010
March 30, 2010
- Adopt Resolution Adopting Written Findings and Responses to Comments or Objections Received in Connection with Consideration of the Adoption of the Bayshore North Redevelopment Plan Amendment No.20; and Pass-to-Print Ordinance Approving and Adopting Proposed Amendment No.20 to Redevelopment Plan for Bayshore North Project (842KB PDF)
- Ordinance-1855: An Ordinance of the City of Santa Clara, California, Approving and Adopting the Proposed Amendment No. 20 to the Redevelopment Plan for the Bayshore North Project (239KB PDF)
- Resolution 10-7705: A resolution of the City of Santa Clara, California, Adopting Written Findings and Responses to Comments or Objections Received In Connection With Consideration of the Adoption of the Bayshore North Redevelopment Plan Amendment No.20 in Accordance With the Provisions of Health and Safety Code Section 33363 (523KB PDF)
- Resolution 10-7706: A Resolution of the City of Santa Clara, California, Adopting Goals and Policies for Community Facilities Districts (376KB PDF)
- Resolution 10-7707: A Resolution of the City of Santa Clara, California, Intention to Establish Community Facilities District: City of Santa Clara Community Facilities Distrcit No. 2010-1 (654KB PDF)
- Resolution 10-7708: A Resolution of the City of Santa Clara, California, Intention to Incur Bonded Indebtedness (114KB PDF)
- Agenda Report: Adoption of Resolutions of Intention to Initiate the Formation of a Community Facilities District and Incurrence of Bonded Indebtedness Related to Special Financing for Publicly Owned Infrastructure for a Proposed Professional Football Stadium (2MB PDF)
- Hotel Community Facilities District Proposed Stadium Project (Power Point Presentation) (216KB PDF)
March 9, 2010
February 9, 2010
January 26, 2010
January 12, 2010
December 15, 2009
December 8, 2009
November 24, 2009
November 16, 2009
November 18, 2009
October 27, 2009
August 25, 2009
August 18, 2009
July 14, 2009
July 7, 2009
June 23, 2009
June 2, 2009
April 21, 2009
February 24, 2009
December 2, 2008
September 2, 2008
June 17, 2008
May 6, 2008
April 15, 2008
March 4, 2008
February 12, 2008
January 22, 2008
January 15, 2008
December 18, 2007
- Agenda Report regarding Stadium Project Financing and Proposed Alternate Stadium Site (10083KB PDF)
- Attachment 1 - PowerPoint regarding Stadium Project Feasibility Study-Financing (24KB PDF)
- Attachment 2 - Sources of Funds/Capacity for Construction of Stadium ( PDF)
- Attachment 3 - Net Impact of Stadium Financing on Funds for Affordable Housing (19KB PDF)
- Attachment 4A - Stadium Authority Profit and Loss Projection (35KB PDF)
- Attachment 4B - Non-NFL Event Revenue Projection (23KB PDF)
- Attachment 4C - 49ers Backup for Stadium Authority Income Statement (105KB PDF)
- Attachment 5 - Preliminary Estimate of Return on Investment from Stadium Project (25KB PDF)
- Attachment 6 - Items from prior City Council Meetings
- Agenda Report from January 9, 2007 meeting re Guiding Principles for Use in the Evaluation of the Feasibility of a Proposed San Francisco 49ers Stadium in the City of Santa Clara (264KB PDF)
- PowerPoint from January 9, 2007 meeting re San Francisco 49ers Proposed Stadium in the City of Santa Clara (174KB PDF)
- Agenda Report from January 9, 2007 meeting re Correspondence Received Regarding the Proposed 49ers Football Stadium (844KB PDF)
- Agenda Report from May 29, 2007 meeting regarding Relocation of Tasman Substation (717KB PDF)
- Agenda Report from May 8, 2007 meeting re "Committee of the Whole" Special Meeting Schedule to Present Information Pertaining to the 49ers Stadium Proposal (118KB PDF)
- Agenda Report from May 15, 2007 meeting re "Committee of the Whole" Additional Special Meeting Requested for July 10, 2007 at 7 p.m. to present Information Pertaining to the 49ers Stadium Proposal (104KB PDF)
- Agenda Report from May 15, 2007 meeting re Written Petition on Stadium Funding Measure (159KB PDF)
- Agenda Report from May 29, 2007 meeting re Information Requested Regarding Potential Ballot Measure Related to the San Francisco Stadium Proposal (355KB PDF)
- Agenda Report from May 29, 2007 meeting re "Committee of the Whole" Special Meeting Scheduled to Present Information Pertaining to the 49ers Stadium Proposal (54KB PDF)
- Agenda Report from June 5, 2007 meeting regarding Evaluation of 49ers Economic and Fiscal Benefits Study (963KB PDF)
- Agenda Report from June 5, 2007 meeting re Council/Agency Questions Pertaining to the 49ers Economic Impact Report (428KB PDF)
- Agenda Report from October 23, 2007 meeting re "Committee of the Whole" Discussion of the Structure and Functions of a Possible Stadium Authority as Outlined in the April 24, 2007 San Francisco 49ers Stadium Financing proposal (130KB PDF)
- Agenda Report from November 27, 2007 regarding "Change of Discussion Topics for December 4 and 11, 2007 "Committee of the Whole" Special Meetings to Present Information Pertaining to the 49ers Stadium Proposal (311KB PDF)
- Attachment 7 - Memorandum from City Manager to Mayor and Council re News Reports re Proposed Use of Utility Funds for 49ers Stadium (3,980KB PDF)
- Attachment 8-1 - Agenda Report from April 24, 2007 meeting re Update on the Stadium Feasibility Study, Report on Game Day Transportation Issues, and a Construction and Financing Proposal for a Stadium in Santa Clara Presented by the SF 49ers (98KB PDF)
- Attachment 8-2 - PowerPoint re 49ers Stadium Proposal (3373KB PDF)
- Attachment 9-1 - Agenda Report from June 5, 2007 meeting re Evaluation of 49ers Economic and Fiscal Benefits Study (963KB PDF)
- Attachment 9-2 - Keyser Marston Associates' PowerPoint re 49ers Economic and Fiscal Benefits Study (123KB PDF)
- Attachment 10-1 - Agenda Report from November 20, 2007 meeting re Tax Increment Study: Update for North of Bayshore Redevelopment Project And Municipal Bond Overview (496KB PDF)
- Attachment 10-2 - PowerPoint from November 20, 2007 meeting re Tax Increment Study: Update North of Bayshore RDA (395KB PDF)
- Letter from Cedar Fair Entertainment Company regarding Alternate Santa Clara Stadium Proposal (112KB PDF)
- Agenda Report regarding Correspondence Received Re the Proposed Football Stadium as of November 30, 2007 (2890KB PDF)
- Recent correspondence Received Regarding the Proposed Football Stadium (392KB PDF)
- 49ers PowerPoint Presentation re Alternative Site Plan (1,610KB PDF)
- 49ers PowerPoint Presentation re Stadium Financing (576KB PDF)
- Citizen handouts (37KB PDF)
December 11, 2007
December 4, 2007
November 27, 2007
November 20, 2007
November 13, 2007
October 23, 2007
October 9, 2007
July 10, 2007
June 5 , 2007
May 29, 2007
May 22, 2007
May 15, 2007
May 8, 2007
May 1, 2007
April 24, 2007
April 17, 2007
April 10, 2007
April 3, 2007
February 6, 2007
January 9, 2007
January 4, 2007