The City of Santa Clara takes water waste very seriously. Water use and restrictions can be found in City Municipal Code 13.15.080 section 1C detailed below:
The following list of Water Use Restrictions and Prohibitions are specific measures which prevent water waste and achieve reasonable, yet substantial, reductions in water use by all users in the City.
The following uses of water are prohibited by the City:
- Wasting water, which includes but is not limited to, the flooding or runoff on City sidewalks, gutters, and streets.
- Cleaning of sidewalks, driveways, patios, parking lots, or other paved or hard-surfaces areas, or washing cars, buses, boats, trailers, or any vehicle by use of a hose unless that hose is fitted with an operating automatic shut-off valve.
- Water waste due to broken or defective plumbing, fire system, irrigations system, or any appurtenance thereto; or to open or to leave open any stopcock or faucet so as to permit water waste.
- Service of water by any restaurant unless requested by a patron.
- Installation of a single-pass cooling system.
- Installation of a non-recirculating decorative fountain.
- Construction of a non-recirculating conveyor car wash.
To report water waste please call the City of Santa Clara Water Department at (408) 615-2000 between the hours of 8 am to 5 pm or complete the Water Waste report .