City-Wide Garage Sale
The City-Wide Garage Sale is held every year in August. The next garage sale will be held on August 9, 2014 and residents throughout the City of Santa Clara are encouraged to hold garage sales that day.
Four reasons for holding a garage sale:
It's good for your wallet. Everyone appreciates a little extra cash. Put the money generated from your garage sale towards a special activity or entertainment - an unexpected treat you didn't realize you could afford.
One person's garbage is another person's treasure. Many people really have fun finding unexpected items at a much reduced cost. That old disco ball you bought in a moment of madness in 1979 and kept in your garage for 30+ years? It's now a piece of garden art in my backyard!
Get rid of clutter. Back to the disco ball in your garage - think about all the items you've purchased over the years that have been taking up space and collecting dust. Free up that valuable real estate for other uses.
It's good for the environment.
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle. By holding a garage sale, you're diverting goods from landfills.
How to Participate
Residents register online for individual, multi-family, or block garage sales. Garage sale registrations are then posted on the City's website and advertised on Facebook, Twitter, eNotify and Craigslist. Below are tips to make your sale the best it can be:
- Register your individual, multi-family or block garage sale on our Garage Sale Registration Form. Be sure to complete all information on the registration form. Registration with incomplete or missing information will not be published.
- Write down the items you want to sell and their prices on a master list.
- Post signs on private property only (no signs may be posted on utility or street sign poles). Use bright colors and bold lettering when making signs. Make sure your signs are large enough for people to read as they drive by.
- Have change and petty cash available. Have plenty of bags and boxes available.
- Donate usable items not sold. Gently used books, CDs and DVDs can be donated to the Library (Santa Clara City Library Foundation and Friends). Clothing, appliances, and furniture can go to various charitable organizations.
Phone: (408) 615-3080
1700 Walsh Ave
Santa Clara, CA 95050