New Business Tax Affidavit form (PDF)
We welcome your business to the City of Santa Clara and would like to share the following information on our City's Business Tax requirements, as found in City Code Section 3.40.050, titled "Imposition of Tax" and Section 3.40.060, titled "Business Tax Certificate Required."
3.40.050 Imposition of tax
The City does hereby tax, as provided in this chapter, each and every kind of business transacted, conducted, exhibited or carried on in the city, at the rates named and prescribed in this chapter. If more than one business shares a business location, each business is required to apply and pay the prescribed tax. (Ord. 1721 § 2, 10-27-98. Formerly § 15-1.104).
3.40.060 Business tax certificate required
It shall be unlawful for any person to transact or carry on any business in the city without first having paid the business tax to the City in compliance with all applicable provisions of this Code. (Ord. 1721 § 2, 10-27-98. Formerly § 15-1.105).
In addition, please note the following:
- Completed and signed forms and fee payment must be received no later than thirty (30) calendar days after commencing business operations in Santa Clara, or a late penalty equal to 100 percent (100%) of the total fees due will be assessed.
- Separate forms must be completed for each location and for each separate type of business at the same location.
- If your organization or corporation has been granted exemption from taxes, please include proof, as provided by the Internal Revenue Service (Federal Form 501C).
- Businesses operating out of the home are required to come into City Hall for Planning Department approval; they are located in the Permit Center, across the hall from the Municipal Services Division.
- Businesses need to provide a copy of their "Fictitious Business Name" statement; Articles of Incorporation, if they are a Corporation or Limited Liability Corporation (LLC); and Sellers Permit (if required), before we can process the application and issue a City of Santa Clara Business Tax Certificate.
- Restaurants also need to provide a statement from the Santa Clara County Department of Health. Please refer to the Department of Health website for more information.
- Incomplete or unsigned forms and/or incorrect fee payments will be returned, and may result in a late penalty.
- If you need assistance in computing the total required fees, please contact the Municipal Services Division, 1500 Warburton Ave, Santa Clara, CA 95050. Tel: (408) 615-2310 Fax: (408) 241-1543