City Owned Historic Properties
In the 1840s, this simple adobe dwelling was constructed about a mile west of Mission Santa Clara. The house was lived in by generations of families who immigrated to Santa Clara to labor in the fields and factories, and to make new lives for themselves. Purchased by the City of Santa Clara in 1997 and restored in 2002, the Berryessa Adobe is one of the last adobes in the Santa Clara Valley, and is an interpretive site on the Juan Bautista de Anza National Historic Trail. It is located at 373 Jefferson Street and generally open Thursdays and Saturdays, 12 noon to 2 p.m., or by arrangement. Group tours may also be arranged. For more information, call (408) 615-2488 or email: BerryessaAdobe@santaclaraca.gov.
Harris-Lass Historic Museum
The Harris-Lass Historic Museum, located at 1889 Market Street, is the last preserved farm site in the City of Santa Clara. The property, which includes a large fully furnished 11-room Italianate-style home, barn, summer kitchen and a tank house, is named for the two families who owned it and lived there for 125 years. The house was originally lived in by Albert Harris, at one time a vice president of the Santa Clara Valley Bank. The home was later purchased by Captain Frederick Lass and his descendants lived in the house for over 75 years.
The museum is now owned by the City, but is operated by the nonprofit Historic Preservation Society of Santa Clara, and staffed entirely by volunteers. Guided tours aid visitors in learning about local history and life in the early 1900s. Museum hours are most Saturdays and Sundays, from12 noon to 4 pm. Admission is $3 for adults and $2 for students and seniors. Parking is free. For details about visiting the museum, call (408) 249-7905 or see http://harrislass.org.
The charming Headen-Inman House, 1509 Warburton Avenue, was part of the Headen estate, and was moved to this location in 1985. The Headen-Inman House includes a museum with photographs and artifacts related to the history of Santa Clara. Rotating exhibits by the Santa Clara Art Association are also on display. The Santa Clara Founders and Pioneers Room has exhibits featuring the founding families and early pioneers of Santa Clara County.
It is a fine example of the Arts and Crafts movement and has a four-panel door with beveled glass lights and fine interior woodwork. The house, named after the two families who once owned it, is now owned by the City, but is operated by and is the headquarters of the nonprofit Santa Clara Arts & Historical Consortium. The museum is open most Sundays, from 1 to 4 p.m. Admission and parking are free. For further information, call (408) 248-ARTS.
The Jamison-Brown House was built in 1866 as a simple farmhouse. The structure was remodeled extensively by the Brown family. Note the veranda—it was added by the Brown family and came from the Judge Hiram Bond house. Owned by the City of Santa Clara, it is used by the Triton Museum of Art for offices/meeting space.