The Solid Waste Division is responsible for maintaining a system for the periodic collection, removal and disposal of all refuse from all premises within the City including solid waste collection, recycling, hazardous waste collection and street sweeping. Solid Waste staff also minimizes neighborhood blight through the graffiti abatement program and issues code violations for illegal signs, and improperly set out containers and dumpsters.
GARBAGE AND CLEAN GREEN
The City of Santa Clara (CSC) oversees the Garbage and Clean Green Program, and the pick-up is currently contracted out to Mission Trail Waste Systems (MTWS).
- MTWS collects both Garbage and Clean Green on the same day, using a two-pass system wherein one truck comes through once to collect either the Garbage or Clean Green carts, and after it dumps the material, comes back to pick up the other carts. Your Recycling is also collected on the same day by Recology. If you are unsure of your pick-up day, please call MTWS at (408) 727-5365, or the CSC's Environmental Services Staff Aide at (408) 615-3080.
- Garbage, which refers to non-hazardous solid waste, should be kept in the black carts, and the Clean Green, which refers to yard waste and lawn clippings, should be kept in the green cart. Details for Garbage and Clean Green are shown below.
- Garbage and Clean Green carts should be set out prior to 7:00 am on your pick-up day, along with your Recycling. Click for more information about Recycling.
- Place Garbage and Clean Green carts in the gutter with the wheels against the curb, at least 3 feet away from each other and from obstacles such as parked cars, landscaping, etc.
- Garbage rates are based on the size of cart that you request from MTWS. If you need to upgrade to a larger cart or wish to downsize to a smaller cart, call CSC Municipal Utilities at (408) 615-2300. For Garbage and Clean Green rates call MTWS at (408) 727-5365.
- After carts are emptied, return them to the backyard or side yard until next collection day.
CURBSIDE RECYCLING PROGRAM
On February 14, 2012, the City of Santa Clara passed a mandatory recycling ordinance in order to comply with California Assembly Bill 341. Ordinance No. 1894 requires recycling be provided for:
- All residential dwellings, including multi-family complexes with five or more units, and
- Commercial businesses generating four cubic yards or more of garbage service per week
Recology provides recycling services to all residences in the City of Santa Clara. Mission Trail Waste Systems provides recycling services to all commercial businesses generating four cubic yards or more garbage per week.
The City's single-stream curbside recycling program utilizes blue wheeled carts (similar to the black garbage and green Clean Green carts) for single-family residences. 64-gallon carts are available to single-family homes, but residents can obtain larger (95-gallon) or smaller (32 gallon) carts by calling Recology at (408) 970-5100.
Multi-family residences have the option to use wheeled carts or front load bins. Residents may begin using the cart for recyclables as soon as it is delivered. Newspapers, mixed papers, corrugated cardboard, glass bottles and jars, aluminum and tin cans, discharged metal spray paint cans, steel and other kitchen scrap metals, and plastic containers marked #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, and #7 (NO POLYSTYRENE) should be placed in the blue cart. Plastic grocery, produce, dry cleaning and bread bags should be bundled together inside a clear plastic bag and placed in the blue cart. Used motor oil (in one-gallon or less screw-top containers), motor oil filters in ziplock plastic bags, and compact fluorescent lightbulbs (CFL's) in separate ziplock plastic bags should be set on the ground next to the blue cart.
A listing of items that can be recycled in the carts or front load bins can be found at "How to Set Your Recyclables Out". Looking to recycle items that aren't included in the City's curbside program? Check out the Center for Development of Recycling's website at http://www.recyclestuff.org/.
Be sure lids on carts are completely closed, and put cart in the gutter (wheels against the curb) next to garbage and Clean Green carts (be sure to leave at least 3 feet of space between each cart) on your regular solid waste collection day. Large cardboard containers that cannot fit in the wheeled carts should be broken down according the the rules in "How to Set Your Recyclables Out" and stacked next to the cart. Questions? Call (408) 970-5100 or (408) 615-3080.
Phone: (408) 615-3080
Fax: (408) 988-0237
U.S. Postal Mail:
Street Corporation Yard
1700 Walsh Avenue
Santa Clara, CA 95050