Residential Solid Waste Disposal & Recycling
2014 Residential Solid Waste & Recycling Collection Schedule
- Set carts out before 7:00 am on your pick-up day with the lids closed, and return them to the rear or side yard by the evening of your collection day.
- To increase or decrease the size of your containers, call Municipal Utilities Customer Service a (408) 615-2300.
- Explore the single-family and multi-family recycling guides.
Garbage and Clean Green Collection Service Provider: Mission Trail Waste Systems (408) 727-5365.
Recycling Collection Service Provider: Recology (408) 970-5100.
Other Waste Disposal and Recycling Programs
Extra Waste Collection
- Extra Garbage Bags: "extra Bag" tags may be used for additional 30-gallon garbage bags. "Extra bag" tags can be purchased for $4 each at the Utility Payment window at City Hall, or ordered by mail by sending a check payable to “City of Santa Clara” and a self-stamped envelope to the Municipal Utilities - Finance Division located at 1500 Warburton Ave. Santa Clara, CA 95050
- Multi-Family Residential: customers with front-load dumpsters are eligible to get one additional collection per year free of charge. Call Mission Trail Waste Systems at 408-727-5365 to make an appointment.
- Debris Bins: for instructions on how to order a debris bin, click here.
|Household Hazardous Waste (HHW)
For disposal of most HHW, make an appointment with the Santa Clara County Household Hazardous Waste Program by calling 408-299-7300 or visiting www.hhw.org
- Motor oil and oil filter curbside collection: Place motor oil in a plastic container labeled "waste oil". Tape the lid down with masking or duct tape. Place used oil filters in a leak-proof plastic bag. Place items by your recycling cart on your regular collection day. You may set out up to three 1-gallon containers of used motor oil per week.
- Dry cell battery curbside collection: Tape the positive terminals and place in a zip-lock bag on top of your garbage cart. Residents with front-load bin service may drop off batteries at any Santa Clara Fire Station seven days a week from 8:00am to 5:00pm.
- Fluorescent bulb curbside collection: Compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs) and fluorescent tubes can be dropped off at any of these locations. CFL's can also be placed in a zip-lock bag next to your recycling cart on your regular collection day.
- Explosives and Ammunition: Call the Police Department at (408) 615-4700.
- E-waste: Find a local e-waste recycler at www.recyclestuff.org.
- Paint: Find a drop off location by visiting www.paintcare.org/drop-off-locations/
|Annual Clean-Up Campaign
Information about areas and proper set out times and instructions will be advertised in the City Calendar and Utility Bill inserts. Questions? contact the Public Works Department at (408) 615-3080 or Environment@SantaClaraCA.gov.
- Construction and demolition debris: must be set out in bulk bags no larger than one (1) cubic yard. Purchase bulk bags here (allow two weeks or shipping). Bulk bags are also available for purchase at the Municipal Utility Payments counter at City Hall.
March 1 and October 18, 2014. Residents must provide a current collection bill and personal identification to verify eligibility. No appointment required. These events take place at Recology located at 650 Martin Ave. Questions? Call (408) 970-5100. The following items are accepted at this free drop-off event:
- Documents for confidential shredding
- E-waste (computers, monitors, printers, etc.)
- Universal waste (batteries, cell phones, CFLs and fluorescent tubes)
- Plastic play structures/toys
|Free Rubbish Disposal Days
January 26 and September 14, 2014.Appointment required. Provide a current collection bill and personal identification to verify eligibility. Questions? Call (408) 727-5365. The following items are accepted at this free drop-off event:
- Construction and demolition materials
- Wood and green waste
- Computer monitors and CPUs
- Cardboard (flattened)
|Holiday Refuse Collection Schedule
||Garbage, Recycling and Clean Green collection schedule will happen a day late after the following holidays:
- Thanksgiving Day (Thursday, 11/27/14)
- Christmas Day (Wednesday, 12/25/14)
- New Year's Day (1/1/15)
Please note: Friday collection will be serviced on Saturday after the Holidays listed above.
- Extra Holiday Waste: Santa Clara residents may set out two 32-gallon garbage bags per week on their regular collection day from December 26, 2014 through January 6, 2015 at no extra charge. Please recycle all non-metallic gift wrap, tissue paper, cards, boxes and tags.
- Holiday Tree collection: Tress will be collected the week of January 5, 2015 - January 9, 2015 on your regular collection day. Please follow the set-out instructions listed below:
- Strip the tree and set out on your regular collection day
- The City does not collect trees on private streets. Residents of multi-family dwellings may set out their trees on the nearest public street. Call 408-615-3080 to find out what day we will be servicing your area
- If you miss your pick-up day, you can bring in your tree (no larger than 9 feet) to the Corp Yard located at 1700 Walsh Avenue during the week of January 6-10
- After January 9, cut up your tree and place the pieces in the Clean Green cart. Flocked trees (trees with artificial snow) should be placed in the garbage cart.
|Home Composting Workshops
The County of Santa Clara sponsors free backyard and worm composting workshops. Register by calling (408) 918-4640 or register online.
- For information on where to buy compost bins and worm bins, click here.
- For a calendar of composting classes and water-wise gardening tours, visit Eco Gardens Bay Area.
|City-Wide Garage Sale
The next garage sale will be held on August 8, 2015. Visit www.SantaClaraCA.gov/GarageSale for more information.
Phone: (408) 615-3080
Fax: (408) 988-0237
U.S. Postal Mail:
Street Corporation Yard
1700 Walsh Avenue
Santa Clara, CA 95050