In 1886, this elegant home was built at the comer of Main and Santa Clara Streets as the new residence of Dr. Henry Hulme Warburton, the first medical doctor in Santa Clara. Originally from England, Dr. Warburton arrived in California in 1847 traveling as a surgeon on the “Cortez.” Having resigned his commission at Half Moon Bay he was traveling over the Coast Mountains when he encountered Luis Antonio Arguello who invited him to locate in Santa Clara. At that time only 3 doctors were in California, so besides Santa Clara patients, he developed a practice covering many miles of territory.
His home was constructed in an eclectic architectural style; predominantly a two-story Stripped Queen Anne residence with gables extending outward over the hipped roof at both the Main and Santa Clara Street elevations. The Main Street elevation incorporated the main entrance offset to the left, a centered two-story bay and a secondary entrance on the right. The two entrances accommodated Dr. Warburton's use of the first floor for an office and pharmacy.
This large corner lot, today measuring 100' x 155', was an ideal location for Dr. Warburton's home, as the site was directly across the street from the homes of his friends, the Arguellos. The relationship between the families was further deepened when, in 1902, Dr. Warburton's son, Luke, married the granddaughter of Luis Antonio Arguello's brother, Jose Ramon.