This attractive Spanish style home was built in 1935 for William and Ursula Wilson. It is a classic revival of the earlier Spanish Colonial style popular from the 1790's to the 1850's. A long low profile, stucco walls, arcades, and tile roofs are typical features.
William Wilson, Sr. was founder of Wilson's Jewel Bakery which opened in 1923. The bakery was originally at 1511 Franklin Street. It moved to its Franklin Mall location on Homestead Road in 1966 when eight square blocks of the original downtown area were razed in a 1960's urban renewal project.
The Wilsons' raised a son, William Jr., and two daughters, Patricia and Ardeen, here. William Sr. was very involved in a variety of community activities. One of his longest involvements was serving over three decades on the local school board. Mrs. Wilson, who passed away in 1966, was a twenty-six year member of the Santa Clara Woman's Club and was its President from 1941 to 1951. Mr. Wilson died in 1987 at the age of 92.