When it was constructed in 1906 this two-story Craftsman bungalow represented one of the newest architectural styles arising from the Arts and Crafts movement. Two California brothers, Charles and Henry Green, who practiced architecture together in Pasadena, inspired the Craftsman style which spread quickly throughout the country via pattern books and popular magazines and become the dominant style for houses built from about 1905 until the early 1920s.
This home, constructed of redwood, is one of Santa Clara's larger Craftsman Bungalows. The home's lower floor is sheathed in clapboard siding, and the upper floor, originally covered with stucco, is now shingled. The roof features a smaller facade gable and end gables which give it a cross-axial form. There are tripartite windows at the facade and clinker brick edging the front stairs. A typical craftsman landscaping element is seen in the yellow jasmine covered porch pergola.
Originally built by William E. Roberts for the Thompson family, by 1915 it was occupied by George L. Sullivan who started the Engineering Department at Santa Clara University. He was Professor of Engineering from 1912-1918, Dean of the College of Engineering until 1955 and then Dean Emeritus until his death in 1961.