Originally this residence was a three-story sixteen-room structure constructed between 1895 and 1897 by real estate magnate John Center for his niece, Margaret Center Morgan. Due to the home's construction on a mudsill foundation, the main floor rotted. When Margaret's son-in-law, Frederick Melhorn, purchased it in 1923 he eliminated this floor and seven of the rooms, resulting in today’s two-story home.
Typical of the Queen Anne architectural style, this home has a varied hipped and gable roof and a gabled bay at the right of the facade with slanted windows and cut-away corners. A small 8-over-1 window sits in the center of the pediment gable. Horizontal wood siding sheathes the house and encloses the front porch which contains four turned porch posts with decorative brackets. Patterned shingles are located within both facade gables. A white picket fence with turned posts completes the Queen Anne appearance of the house.
The home's interior reflects the graciousness of the period. As you enter the house the parlor is to the left off a central hallway. It is here that Mrs. Morgan's daughter, Margaret, married Frederick Melhorn in 1907. The dining room features a beautiful oak fireplace inlaid with tiles and a built-in china cabinet with a pass through to the kitchen.