This home offers insights into the early 20th century life-style of a middle-class family. Mayo Dugdell, referred to in local newspapers as "a prominent Santa Clara businessman," owned and operated a meat market in town. For $800 in gold coin, he and his wife, Carrie, purchased the property in 1893 and, according to oral history, between 1900 and1905 replaced the first house with the one that stands today; a large l 1/2 story structure representing an interesting mixture of contemporary architectural styles. Designed in a bungalow style with very pronounced craftsman features, it also has a wraparound porch with classic Doric columns and is sheathed in narrow clapboard siding, both of which are characteristic of Colonial Revival design. The Dugdells lived here for 35 years and then the home was purchased by Roy Pinkham, a projectionist for Santa Clara's Mission Theater and his wife, Charlotte, who lived here 46 years.
Over the years the house has given up none of its original charm. From the large shaded, front porch, to the cozy kitchen in the back, the house is very much unchanged from when the Dugdells left. The interior woodwork, of a quality found in larger more expensive homes, is the same. All the interior solid brass door hardware remains, as well as the "skeleton" keys to lock and unlock most of the doors, including the pocket doors in the dining room and kitchen. And, although the pipes which once supplied gas to the home's gas and electric lights have been disconnected, the original light fixtures still hang in the living and dining rooms.