Believed to have been constructed circa 1889 by a carpenter named A. C. Warren, various owners occupied the house until 1923, when Henry Luke Warburton moved into it with his family. The son of H. H. Warburton, Santa Clara's first doctor, Henry L. Warburton was a prominent local resident involved in both the Mission Bank and the Santa Clara branch of the Mercantile Trust Company. His wife, Mary, was a founding member of the Santa Clara Woman's Club. They had four children; the youngest was their son, Austen. Born in 1918, he was active in civic, philanthropic and academic circles his entire life. He served on the Santa Clara City Council and several Commissions. An ardent patron of the arts, he was well known for-his monumental generosity.
Designed in a simplified version of the Queen Anne architectural style, this large 2-Story wooden residence lacks the typical ornamentation of that style. The house is dominated by a steeply pitched gabled roof with an off-set gable that is ornamented by slight cresting and a finial. The roof line is further distinguished by a boxed cornice, projecting eave and carved gable boards. Wide ship lap with wide end boards sheathe the first floor, while plain and wave patterned shingles cover the upper stories. The front facade is distinguished by a recessed slightly-angled bay window and a small rectangular, recessed front porch supported by 2 ornately carved turned posts. A classical balustrade and banister culminates in 2 carved newel posts as the base of the front steps.