This was the home of Dr. Judson W. Paul, a well-known Santa Clara physician. In 1904, the following description appeared in Progressive Santa Clara: The bearing and courtesy of Dr. Paul & his generous & genial nature has won for him the respect of the members of the profession and the confidence and esteem of the community.
A central, steeply hipped roof, punctuated by various gabled roof bays and dormers, dominates this 1 1/2 story residence, constructed in the Eastlake architectural style. The house is sheathed in a wide variety of forms, from the side shiplap of the house's base to the patterned shingles under the eaves and along the gable faces. Two highly ornamented porches highlight the south and east facing sides. An opalescent stained glass window and various leaded windows add distinct ornamentation. Handsome wooden detail accentuates the various bay windows. The large corner lot, distinguished by a picket fence, also contains the circa 1855 office of Dr. Arthur W. Saxe.
One of-Santa Clara's earliest doctor’s, Dr. Saxe was a leading member of the medical community. After traveling overland to California in search of gold in 1850, he moved to Santa Clara and, in 1852, was joined by his wife Mary and their two small children. Here he built his home and office on the half block he had purchased. Besides his office, Dr. Saxe's house at 1075 Benton is still standing.