Skip to page body Home Residents Business Goverment Services About

Museums

Service Review
Harris Lass Historic Preserve
  • Harris Lass
Tall and stately, the ltalianate house is easily distinguished by its well-balanced, pronounced vertical lines. The ltalianate architectural style (mid-1860s to 1880s) is a California adaptation of stone structures built in 17th century Italy, with certain architectural elements translated into native redwood and Douglas fir.

This 11-roorn ltalianate home is significant primarily as the last remaining large farmhouse in Santa Clara. Narrow shiplap siding sheathes the structure with a truncated low hipped roof punctuated by four pedimental-shaped gablets. The deeply projecting eaves are ornamented by a row of dentils and corner brackets. The east facade has a squared portico, supported by twin square columns and a balustrade crowns the portico, which covers a handsome round-arched entry door with a fan light.

Constructed prior to the continuation of Market St., the earliest reference to this site is found in the J.J. Bowen 1866 Survey of Santa Clara, with a house, barn, and orchard noted as "improvements" to the property. The house was built by Henry and Mary Harris in 1864.

The house is owned by the City of Santa Clara and is managed by The Historic Preservation Society of Santa Clara. Guided tours aid visitors in learning about local history and life in the early 1900s. 

ADMISSION
$3 for adults and $2 for students and seniors. Parking is free.

MUSEUM HOURS
Most Saturdays and Sundays, from 12 noon to 4 pm.

CONTACT
1889 Market Street
Santa Clara, CA 95050
(408) 249-7905
http://harrislass.org