The City of Santa Clara Public Works Department is implementing a community-based adopt-a-spot program to beautify neighborhoods and open spaces by removing litter and debris that contribute to stormwater pollution.
This program is designed for individuals, families, community groups, businesses, churches, and other organizations to play an active role in keeping public spaces clean and beautiful while allowing them to set their own schedule. It is also a great opportunity for students to obtain community service hours.
We are looking for volunteers who would like to adopt a spot such as:
- Creek trails (with SCVWD approval)
- Neighborhood blocks
- City owned lots or alleys
- Storm drain inlets
- Streets, sidewalks and medians.
- Bus stops (with VTA approval)
Public Works supports volunteer efforts with training, tool lending, bagged trash collection services and technical assistance.
Why adopt a spot?
Have you ever noticed an area in your neighborhood that could look better if somebody cared for it once in a while? Would you like to be that somebody? Adopt a spot and:
- Make your community a better place to live and play.
- Explore details of the urban environment that often go unnoticed.
- Contribute to a healthier and cleaner community.
- Increase public awareness of the effects of littering.
- Be recognized by other residents for your efforts to make a difference.
- Find out how rewarding caring for your community can be!
How to adopt a spot?
- Fill out an application to adopt a spot of your choice for one year. The site must be approved by City staff.
- Sign a liability waiver.
- Get trained and request necessary material: Personal protective equipment (safety vests, gloves, facemasks, etc.), bags, trash grabbers, "Flows to Bay" stencils, paint and paint Brushes.
- Arrange with City staff for garbage pick up or tool lending before your cleanup event.
- Desire for making your neighborhood a better and more beautiful place.
- Ability to perform the physical activities that may be required by the specific project you want to be part of. These may include but are not limited to bending, standing, lifting, etc.
- One-year commitment to maintain the adopted spot, and a minimum of 4 cleanups a year. Adopted spots can be renewed upon request at the end of the first one-year term.
- All ages are welcome to participate. Minors under 13 years of age must volunteer with a parent or guardian.
- Note: one-time cleanup proposals are also welcomed. Contact us for more information at (408)615-3080.
In appreciation of your efforts, the City of Santa Clara will:
- Post a sign near the adopted spot.
- Send you a Certificate of Appreciation signed by the Mayor.
- Publicly recognize volunteer groups via Facebook, Twitter, eNotify, and on the Environmental Programs website.