The 2014 City-Wide Garage Sale will take place on Saturday, Aug. 9, and residents throughout Santa Clara are encouraged to hold garage sales on this date. Online registration of garage sales (individual, multi-family, or block) will be accepted beginning July 7 and will be taken until 12 noon on Friday, Aug. 8.
A City-Wide Garage Sale map will include a list of addresses holding garage sales as well as a brief list of the items for sale at each address. The map will be available for downloading beginning Aug. 1 and will be updated regularly until 12 noon on Aug. 8. The event will be advertised in the July 2014 Mission City Scenes, on Cable Channel 15, and on the City and various other websites.
Here are some tips to make your garage sale successful:
- Gather many items to sell – Look in every corner of your home, garage and attic for items no longer wanted or needed which can be set out for sale.
- Create an inventory – Make a master list of your sale items and their prices. It’s helpful in case a price tag is lost.
- Price items – Use brightly colored tags or large stickers and write clearly.
- Post signs in your neighborhood – Place signs on private property only. No signs may be posted on utility or street sign poles. Use A-frame signs, mount signs on stakes in your yard, or put a sign on your car or van. Use bright colors and bold lettering when making signs.
- Prepare for your sale – Have plenty of change and petty cash available. Display sale items attractively (furniture clean and polished, clothing on hangers or folded neatly, books and knick-knacks dusted, etc.). Use newspaper to wrap breakables, and have plenty of bags and boxes available.
- Donate usable items not sold – Gently used books, CDs and DVDs can be donated to the City library. Clothing, appliances and furniture can go to charitable organizations.
Detailed information on holding a successful garage sale, places to donate unsold usable items, rules for garage sale signs and their placement, etc. can be found at santaclaraca.gov/GarageSale or call 408-615-3080.