Residents throughout the City are encouraged to participate in the City-wide Garage Sale when hundreds of shoppers will be exploring Santa Clara neighborhoods to look for hidden treasures and bargains.
The City-wide Garage Sale will be advertised in the July 2013 utility bill insert Mission City Scenes, on Cable Channel 15, and on the City and various other websites. Online registration of garage sales (individual, multi-family, or block) will be accepted from July 8 until noon on Friday, Aug. 9.
The City-wide Garage Sale map will include a list of addresses holding garage sales as well as a brief list of the items for sale at each address. The map will be available for downloading beginning Aug. 1 and will be updated regularly until noon on Aug. 9. Here are a few tips for holding a successful garage sale:
- Gather items to sell – Look in every corner of your home, garage and attic for items no longer wanted or needed which can be set out for sale.
- Inventory – Write down the items you want to sell and their prices on a master list (helpful in case a price tag is lost).
- Price items – Use brightly colored tags or large stickers and write clearly.
- Post signs – On private property only (no signs may be posted on utility or street sign poles). Use A-frame signs, mount signs on stakes in your yard, or put a sign on your car or van. Use bright colors and bold lettering when making signs.
- Prepare for your sale – Have plenty of change and petty cash available. Display sale items attractively (furniture clean and polished; clothing on hangers or folded neatly; books and knick-knacks dusted, etc.). Use newspaper to wrap breakables, and have plenty of bags and boxes available.
- Donate usable items not sold – Gently used books, CDs and DVDs can be donated to the City library; clothing, appliances, and furniture can go to charitable organizationsDonate usable items not sold – Gently used books, CDs and DVDs can be donated to the City library; clothing, appliances, and furniture can go to charitable organizations.
Detailed information on holding a successful garage sale, places to donate unsold usable items, rules for garage sale signs and their placement, etc. can be found at SantaClaraCA.gov/GarageSale or call 408-615-3080.