The City of Santa Clara joins hundreds of other water utilities in observing May as Water Awareness Month. Since summer is rapidly approaching, it is a great time to remind everyone to use water wisely.
The City’s Water Utility is committed to providing a safe, reliable, high quality supply of drinking water to the residents and business that call Santa Clara home. The conservation efforts of the City’s residents and businesses help to ensure that the City will continue to have an adequate supply of water in the future. The City’s residents and businesses continue to enjoy some of the lowest water rates in the Bay Area due to the efforts of the City to control costs and maintain efficient operations.
Here are just a few things you can do to use water wisely:
- Reduce lawn size and incorporate water efficient plants into your landscape. The Water Utility offers a number of free publications that will help you plan a beautiful and water efficient landscape.
- Put a layer of mulch around plants and trees to reduce evaporation and save up to 1,500 gallons per month.
- Use a pistol grip nozzle instead of letting the hose run. This saves up to 10 gallons per minute. The Water Utility has free hose nozzles available.
- Repair a leaky faucet or fix a silent toilet leak. You can find out how to do these simple repairs yourself using a free copy of the Practical Plumbing Handbook.
- Install a low flow showerhead. Installing a free low flow showerhead available from the Water Utility can save up to 800 gallons per month.
- Turn off the water while brushing your teeth or shaving. This is easy and can save 10 gallons per day.
- Cover the pool to eliminate evaporation. Covering a pool can save up to 3,000 gallons per month and reduce the cost to heat the pool.
To get copies of the literature mentioned above or free hose nozzles, low flow showerheads and aerators, dye tablets to check for silent toilet leaks stop by the Water and Sewer Utilities office in the West Wing of City Hall at 1500 Warburton Avenue. If you have questions about water and water conservation, contact the City of Santa Clara Water and Sewer Utilities at (408) 615-2000.
See City's Water Conservation page
For more information on water conservation and rebates, visit the Santa Clara Valley Water District
Visit EPA's WaterWise website.