- The Santa Clara Police Department Records Unit processes the crime reports written by police officers and ensures that the reports are routed to appropriate locations such the Bureau for further investigation and the District Attorney's Office for prosecution. Data from the records management system is stored and used for mandatory reporting requirements to the State and Federal governments and for crime prevention or investigation purposes. In addition, the Records Unit provides police reports or crime data from a wide variety of requestors (e.g. crime victims, insurance companies, members of the press, the legal community, etc.). The Records Unit processes approximately 15,000 police reports and 8,000 moving and mechanical citations annually.
- Responsibilities of the Records Volunteer include:
- assist the public at the front desk;
- answer phones, respond to questions and direct inquiries accordingly
- enter and/or seek information from various databases;
- assist Records Specialists with other duties, as necessary.
Special Requirements or Restrictions
- Ability to use a computer with familiarity with Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and/or PowerPoint.
- Ability to follow instructions and learn quickly.
- A comprehensive background check is conducted on all potential SCPD interns and volunteers.
- Applicants with a felony conviction, a misdemeanor conviction within the last year or who are currently on probation or parole will not be accepted.
Days of Week Times of Day
- Approximately 4-8 hours per week.
- Specific days and times are flexible.
- Yes. Volunteers applications are currently being accepted in the Records Unit.
Contact Name and Phone