- The Santa Clara Police Department’s Citizen’s Police Academy (CPA) is a 12-week program intended to provide participants with an overview of the Department's functions and operational procedures. CPA has been developed to further the Department's goal of expanding its Community Policing philosophy, increasing trust and respect, growing awareness and creating a sense of understanding between Police Department personnel and the Santa Clara community. CPA is designed to educate participants on the mission, vision and values of the Department and share a unique look at day to day operations, policies and procedures. CPA is not designed to train an individual to be a Police Officer or a Reserve Police Officer.
CPA is structured to provide information on a variety of topics in enjoyable and interesting ways. Over the course of the session, there will be the opportunity to ask questions, share concerns, participate on a ride-a-long with a patrol officer and tour the Santa Clara County Jail. Department personnel teach CPA via a mix of lecture and hands-on training.
CPA Volunteers are responsible to:
- Set-up the classroom;
- Prepare the various manipulatives for the training;
- Support SCPD instructors;
- Role play during hands-on exercises; and,
Special Requirements or Restrictions
- Light lifting.Strong organizational skills.
- A law enforcement background is desirable but not a prerequisite.
- A comprehensive background check is conducted on all potential SCPD interns.
- Applicants with a felony conviction, a misdemeanor conviction within the last year or who are currently on probation or parole will not be accepted.
Days of Week Times of Day
- Wednesdays from 6:00-10:00pm, September 18 through December 11, 2013 and Saturday, November 2 from 8:00am-4:00pm
- Dates and times for the Spring, 2014 session are not yet available.
- Yes. Volunteer applications are currently being accepted for CPA Aides.
Contact Name and Phone