BACK TO SCHOOL
TIPS FOR WALKERS
The Santa Clara Police Department would like to remind drivers and pedestrians to be extra careful when a new school year starts. We are asking students to be extra cautious when walking to and from school. Here are a few tips:
- Pay special attention to all traffic signals and crossing guards;
- Never cross the street against a red light, even if you don't see any traffic coming;
- Wear reflective clothing and bright colors so drivers can see you easier;
- Plan a safe walking route to school or the bus stop. Choose the most direct way with the fewest street crossings and if possible, with intersections that have traffic controls;
- Advise children to arrive early for buses, stay out of the street and to wait for the bus to come to a complete stop before approaching the street.
TIPS FOR DRIVERS
Drivers also need to be very aware when school is back in session and children will be walking to and from schools and bus stops. As autumn approaches, there will be less daylight and children will be out early in the morning and more difficult to see.
- Be watchful around schools and bus stops for children running into the street;
- Watch for children entering the street from behind buses or running to catch the bus;
- When driving your children to school, deliver and pick them up as close to the school as possible. Don't leave until they are safely on school grounds;
- Drive slowly when approaching children riding bicycles and walking near the street;
- Watch your speed when entering school zones;
- Utilize patience and obey all traffic laws.
9-1-1 should be called in an emergency.
Non-emergency traffic and parking issues can be reported online