Santa Clara Municipal Code 5.05.020 states that it is unlawful for any person to engage in solicitation or peddling activities within the City without first obtaining a permit issued by the Santa Clara Police Department. Follow the crime prevention tips below to protect yourself from fraudulent or unlawful solicitation or peddling:
• If a solicitor attempts to sell you something, requests a donation, or offers services for hire ask to see their permit. If a solicitor does not have a permit, immediately call the Santa Clara Police Department via the 24-hour non-emergency phone line at (408)615-5580.
• Do not allow anyone into your home that you do not know.
• Be a wise consumer! Don’t let an aggressive solicitor pressure you into making a decision.
• Beware of solicitations disguised as promotions offering instant prizes or awards designed solely to obtain your personal information or credit card numbers.
• Beware of scams and offers for home repair from drive-up workers who "just happen" to be in the neighborhood.
Santa Clara Municipal Code 5.05.190 - Observance of "No Solicitors" or "No Peddlers" signs states that it is unlawful for any solicitor or peddler to perform any solicitation activities at any residence where a sign is posted in public view with the words "No Solicitors" or "No Peddlers.”
The entire City Code
language on this matter can be viewed online.