Utility customers are sometimes targeted by imposters who claim to be utility customer representatives asking for delinquent payment of a bill. We want our Silicon Valley Power (SVP) customers to be safe and secure.
If someone asks you for payment for your City of Santa Clara utility bill, and you have not received a late notice on your utility bill and a 48-hour disconnect notice, you should beware!
Any legitimate SVP or City employee will welcome your questions, and you can always call 408-615-2300 to verify that you are behind on your bill and make payment.
- The only time you may get a call informing you that SVP will turn off service is after you have received both a Late Notice on your utility bill and a 48-hour Disconnection Notice in the mail.
- If you didn’t receive a notice in the mail, hang up and call the City’s municipal services at 408-615-2300 between 8:00 a.m. and 4:55 p.m. for billing information and payments.
- If a caller asks you to go to a store and purchase any kind of money card to pay your bill, the caller is not with SVP or the City.
- Never give credit card, bank or any other personal information to someone who calls you or emails you if you are not sure that they are an SVP or City employee.
- Beware if you get a visit at your home or business from anyone asking for utility bill payments. SVP will not demand bill payment at your door.
- If you suspect a visitor who says they are from SVP or the City is not really an SVP or City representative, close your door and call the Santa Clara Police Department’s direct emergency line: 408-296-2236. Our representatives will not mind if you do.
- If you have requested a visit, verify the identification of the utility employee, who must carry a City of Santa Clara identification badge with their name and photo. They also will arrive in a City or SVP vehicle with the logo on the vehicle.
- For information about your bill or making payments, call 408-615-2300 between 8:00 a.m. and 4:55 p.m.
If you think you are being targeted by any type of scam or by someone falsely claiming to be a utility or City representative, get as much information as you can about the suspicious person and call the Santa Clara Police Department at 408-615-5580. If the suspicious person is at your door, call the police department’s direct emergency number: 408-296-2236.