During inclement weather episodes, cold temperatures put many people, especially older adults, at risk for hypothermia, which is caused by dangerously low body temperature. Please take actions and use available services to ensure safety and well-being for yourselves and your family during these rainy, cold days and nights.
For Homeless Persons
- Daytime warming centers are located in libraries, community and senior centers throughout the County.
- Overnight warming locations operated by HomeFirst in the City of San Jose are listed below. Families needing shelter can call 408-515-6886 for assistance.
- Bascom Community Center, 1000 South Bascom Avenue, San José, CA 95128
- Leininger Community Center, 1300 Senter Road, San José, CA 95112
- Roosevelt Community Center, 901 E Santa Clara Street, San José, CA 95116
- Expanded shelter services available throughout the County.
For a printable PDF of warming centers and shelters click here: http://bit.ly/WarmCenters1-2-2019. For more information on shelter locations, visit the County of Santa Clara Office of Supportive Housing.
For Older Adults
If you are 65 or older, have someone check in with you regularly, especially during cold weather. Friends, family and neighbors of older adults should check in frequently to make sure that their homes are adequately heated and that they are safe. For cold weather safety tips in English, Spanish, Chinese and Vietnamese, visit: http://bit.ly/coldweathersafe
During times of inclement weather declarations, the following is a list of warming centers and their hours of operation in the City of Santa Clara. Please call in advance to confirm current facility hours.
|WARMING Centers||Contact Number||Hours of Operation|
|Central Park Library
2635 Homestead Rd
Mon-Thu:10 a.m. - 9 p.m.
Fri-Sat: 10 a.m.-6 p.m.
Sun: 1 p.m.- 5 p.m.
|Community Recreation Center
969 Kiely Blvd.
|408-615-3140||Mon-Thu: 8 a.m.- 8 p.m.
Sat: 9 a.m. -12 p.m.
1303 Fremont St.
|408-615-3170||Mon-Thu: 7 a.m. - 7 p.m.
Fri: 7 a.m. - 5 p m.
Sat: 9 a.m. -12 p.m.
|Mission Branch Library
1098 Lexington St.
|408-615-2964|| Mon.- Tues.: 10 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Wed.-Thu: 11 a,m. - 8 p.m.
Fri-Sat: 10 a,n, - 6 p.m.
Northside Branch Library
695 Moreland Way
Wed-Sat: 10 a.m.- 6 p.m.